Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-17-2022, 04:47 PM   #261
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

OK, so it seems that unless there's new votes between now and when I post Stargate Question II tomorrow, the results for teleportation are that 3 gets four votes, 2 and 4 get three each, and 1 and 5 get one each (as Kesendeja specifically notes that their vote for 8 was basically a vote for four of the other options). So, teleportals are very common, while ring transporters, booths, and other such systems of a variety of designs are not too much less so, and powerful folks have access to teleporting magic items. Teleport spells and such exist, but are rare, and may be quite unexpected the first time the PCs encounter the use of one.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 01:51 PM   #262
Prince Charon

Stargate Question II

Is the Stargate network an interstellar portal system, interdimensional only, or some other thing?

1. Like the show, the 'gates are primarily a network for interstellar travel, but may be used for time travel or interdimensional travel under some circumstances (generally weird accidents that are tricky to duplicate later). This may include some of the mystical Planes mentioned in #6, below.

2. As 1, but the 'gates cannot be used for time travel or interdimensional travel.

3. As 1, but while the 'gates can be used for time travel, they cannot be used for interdimensional travel.

4. As 1, but while the 'gates can be used for interdimensional travel, they cannot be used for time travel.

5. The SGC at first believes the 'Stargate' network to be a form of interstellar teleportation, but later discovers that it is a network of portals between alternate Earths.

6. As 5, but not all the worlds being accessed are precisely 'alternate Earths,' some being other Planes/magical realms, like Faerie, the Ętherial Plane, the Elemental Planes, the Abyss, and so on. Visiting these places can sometimes have 'interesting' effects on travelers.

7. Something else (please specify).

Please remember to include the number of your preferred option when you vote.

Answer: Two votes appear to be for Varyon's version of 7, one vote for Kesendeja's version of 7, and one vote for 6.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 11-22-2022 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 02:10 PM   #263
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Stargate Question II
7: Largely as 5 (SGC thinks they are doing interstellar travel, but it's actually interdimensional), but most of the destinations are planets other than Earth (this helps maintain the illusion that they are doing interstellar travel, as mapping the stars shows them being somewhere else in the Milky Way, rather than still on Earth or somewhere completely unidentifiable). Some dimensions - including the one SGC is located in - do have multiple gates located on different planets, so sometimes gate travel is indeed just interstellar rather than interdimensional (and interstellar); SGC may notice some destinations requiring less energy and/or staying open longer because of this*. The more "Other" dimensions mentioned in 6 exist, but generally one cannot travel to them using a Stargate (outside of rare happenstance/malfunctions/whatever, Because Plot), and must use another method (many such use gateways that may just look like a different type of Stargate, which can throw travelers off).

*Travel between two planets in the same dimension is the least energy-intensive and can be kept open the longest amount of time. Travel between the same planet in two different dimensions (such as travel between two alternates of Earth) cost more and can't be kept open for as long. Travel between two different planets in two different dimensions is the most energy-intensive and can be kept open for the shortest amount of time.
Old 11-18-2022, 02:24 PM   #264
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Stargate Question II

I/b] .
Also 7 and mostly as modified by Varyon though I might have started with 6 rather than 5.
Old 11-19-2022, 03:32 PM   #265
adm

I will go with 6.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:30 AM   #266
Kesendeja

Quote:
Stargate Question II

The gates offer travel between different worlds, and with proper modifications can be used to extend the distance to another galaxy (ala Atlantis) or dimension, more of the mystical realms such as the astral and whatnot. Time travel, and alternative earths, if they happen are accidental and cannot be reliably duplicated.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:37 PM   #267
Prince Charon

Poll remains open for now. Probably posting a new question tomorrow or Wednesday, as I think some of us will be a bit distracted on Thursday.

What we have so far is two votes appear to be for Varyon's version of 7, one vote for Kesendeja version of 7, and one vote for 6. If this trend remains, the next questions will be on whether the setting interacts with the Infinite Worlds oversetting, or another GURPS dimension-travel setting, and probably on how or how much it interacts.

-- Tacitus

Old 11-22-2022, 10:55 PM   #268
Prince Charon

Stargate Question III

Does this setting interact with the Infinite Worlds oversetting, or one of the other dimension-travelling settings?

1. This setting is part of the standard 4e Infinite Worlds oversetting.

2. It's part of a nonstandard form of the 4e Infinite Worlds oversetting (next vote is for variants like Centrum Dark/Light, Infinity Dark/Light, et cetra).

3. The setting is part of the 3e Infinite Worlds setting, which has somewhat different dates and events.

4. Stargate Fantasy interacts with a version of the 23 Skidoo setting.

5. Stargate Fantasy is part of the Collegio Januari setting.

6. Stargate Fantasy does not interface with any of the published dimension-travelling settings

Please remember to include the number of your preferred option when you vote.

Answer: 6 (no contact with other published settings) wins with five votes, 7 (part of the Stargate Classic oversetting) gets one vote.

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 11-25-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:20 AM   #269
Kesendeja

Quote:
Stargate Question III
6. Stargate Fantasy does not interface with any of the published dimension-travelling settings
I'd like to keep stargate unique, and not just some other faction in a preexisting setting.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:03 AM   #270
Varyon

Quote:
Stargate Question III
6 - It doesn't interface with any other GURPS setting. There's already plenty to work with without getting the complications of those other settings involved - and seeing as most of the votes last round allowed for interstellar travel, there's the issue that I think most of the dimension-hopping GURPS settings
don't allow for such.

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding