Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:27 AM   #1
Aman

Default Battlesuit?

I never really played it, and am in possession of the magazine version of it.

I can't find any info on the new box version - is there any commentary on this release?

Just wondering if they changed it up a bit, improved it with addendum, consolodated rules, better physical components etc.

Thanks!
Aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
DSumner

Default Re: Battlesuit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman View Post
I never really played it, and am in possession of the magazine version of it.

I can't find any info on the new box version - is there any commentary on this release?

Just wondering if they changed it up a bit, improved it with addendum, consolodated rules, better physical components etc.

Thanks!
They added a bit more detail as well as some new drones to the mix.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:22 PM   #3
Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner View Post
They added a bit more detail as well as some new drones to the mix.
Well, turns out I can't find the map, so original Space Gamer issue, Counters, and that's what I have. I ordered the box game cuz... what the heck, I'll support it. Besides, larger counters is a good thing.

Maybe the editing will be worth it.
Old 08-23-2021, 03:49 PM   #4
Aman

Received game - like the bigger counters and the die-cut ones [easier to pick up]. Reading the rules, I'm wondering why I never played it!

Anyone have leads on miniatures that suit the Winchell Chung 'Suits? Pun intended...
:o
Old 11-06-2022, 10:04 AM   #5
Aman

Have finally gotten around to a more in-depth exploration of Battlesuit.

I had to do my own QRS to organize the rules in a way that made more sense - too many things scattered around, not cross-referenced or repeated.

After that, it has been pretty smooth, just tweaking the QRS to make it a bit more accurate.

I have found it to be Firepower oriented rather than Maneuver - the board is literally not big enough to have any safe spaces in which to Maneuver, and only scenario rules will force you to make Maneuver a priority, e.g. exiting the board to win. Aside from that, the only reason to Maneuver is to get Line of Sight for Direct Fire [DF], which makes Fire considerably more lethal.

Heavy Weapons are a menace firing anywhere on the map, with either DF or Indirect Fire [IF], altho of course the significant penalty makes IF less lethal.

My solution is to nearly double the notional ground scale to 50m per hex, and halve the Range penalty bands from 10 hex increments to 5. One playtest showed this to make the physical limit of the map much more playable - one can probably also play across the narrow side at this point.

Aside from that, just streamlining a few of the quirky rule exceptions [some of which appear to be contradicted elsewhere in the rules, anyway].

In terms of flavor and nostalgia, I rate the game an 8.5 only because there weren't more and more flavorful Ogre-universe themed scenarios, which would have made it a 9.5.

In terms of mechanics, I'd rate it a 6 as-is, mostly due to the cumbersome Line of Sight rules for flight and the lack of reason to maneuver which is one of the exciting parts of a wargame.

With tweaks, I'd probably push it up to an 8 or even 8.5.

As always, a lot of play in a small package, and a nice addition to the Ogreverse. More details in my blog:
https://upthebluefow.blogspot.com/se...bel/Battlesuit
Old 11-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #6
selenite

I better find my copy of Battlesuit before the real world catches up. Elbit has developed the bomb drone.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote