Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [Gun Fu] Army of One overpowered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
There's a strong cinematic tradition for strong heroes wielding big guns casually and with one hand.
QFT.

Remember, when the book was written, the authors sat down and watched movies. To paraphrase Neo, "LOTS of movies."

If you saw it in a film and couldn't do it by the regular rules, typically it got a Perk. One Many Army is such a thing. Sly and Arnold and Jesse can wield stupidly powerful weaponry, either at all (the M134 minigun that was "Old Painless"; even the XM214 5.56x45mm '6-pak' had 90lbs of recoil force) or in one hand (Sly's repeated use of M60s, and Arnolds wielding one in each hand of a railgun that supposedly fired projectiles at the speed of light in Eraser).

To do this, you need to violate RAW. So be it. Perk.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #12
Agramer

On 2nd thought he is right.

It should be advantage and not Perk.
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:02 AM   #13
Kaldrin

In my mind Army of One is simply off-hand weapon training for heavy guns. The gunslinger advantage already gives the other stuff.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
QFT.

Remember, when the book was written, the authors sat down and watched movies. To paraphrase Neo, "LOTS of movies."

If you saw it in a film and couldn't do it by the regular rules, typically it got a Perk. One Many Army is such a thing. Sly and Arnold and Jesse can wield stupidly powerful weaponry, either at all (the M134 minigun that was "Old Painless"; even the XM214 5.56x45mm '6-pak' had 90lbs of recoil force) or in one hand (Sly's repeated use of M60s, and Arnolds wielding one in each hand of a railgun that supposedly fired projectiles at the speed of light in Eraser).

To do this, you need to violate RAW. So be it. Perk.
Only (a) you don't need to violate RAW, there already exist rules for wielding those weapons one-handed, and (b) not all violations of RAW should be perks.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #15
carllarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldrin View Post
In my mind Army of One is simply off-hand weapon training for heavy guns. The gunslinger advantage already gives the other stuff.
Partially. It allows one-handed use of two-handed heavy weapons, not off-hand use. You'd have to take OHWT to use in the off hand without penalty, and DWA if using 2 at once.

I'd personally adjust the required ST based, as cinematic heroes using this ability would generally have excess ST compared to the base requirement. However, it isn't necessary, as the ST needed is enough to lift the weapon, and the perk implies at least one other form of bracing (hipshooting).

Also, if it seems overpowering, simply change the emphasis related to one-handed vs two-handed use. Frex, it's still a two-handed weapon, so Gunslinger still treats it as such.
carllarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #16
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

This perk is merely a way to leverage the large buy-in of Gunslinger. If you want to be a Gunslinger and have your thing be big, heavy weapons . . . you can, and you don't have to shovel in too many more points after the 25 you paid for Gunslinger. Using two such weapons effectively still means having OHWT and DWA with your skill of choice, for another 6 points.

And of course you still need the base ST, which is high for the most potent weapons. Not to mention enough ST to lug the things unencumbered. You won't be doing much gun fu with two M60s and ST 10. You need ST 12 to exploit the perk, and then you're carrying 59.2 lbs. of machine guns, which puts you at Medium encumbrance (60% of your Basic Move, -2 to Dodge) even if you're otherwise naked.

We looked at all the stuff you'd actually need to be any good at this and decided, "Yeah, 25 points in Gunslinger is enough of a premium to make it fair to let high ST, a couple of perks, and a maxed-out technique be especially effective in an over-the-top campaign."

Oh, and you can fire a lot of these weapons one-handed with a sufficiently good sling anyway. That might set you back 0 points and $100-$200. And that's not cinematic, especially, just a stupidly heavy and expensive way to outfit a single man.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #17
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post

full Acc with one-handed weapons.
Note that this applies to the weapon's basic hands requirement, before special perks or whatever. A heavy weapon with a † (two-handed) mark on ST still counts as a two-handed weapon for Acc purposes. Also, automatic fire never gets full Acc – that's for single shots – so the best candidates for this perk, which are LMGs and GPMGs, aren't especially useful here. Nearly all such weapons have a ! note on RoF, which means that they can't fire single shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post

More importantly, it doesn't compare with Mêlée, where being able to wield a two-hander requires lots of extra ST.
This isn't, in fact, important at all. In melee combat, you're providing the damage yourself, with your own ST. In firearms combat, the gun is providing it. Put 5 points in High TL and get a future weapon, or just bring a big satchel explosive, and you can get as much damage as you want, really. The fact is, GURPS makes huge firearms damage more a $ and LC thing than a points thing; if you can afford the weapon, and the GM isn't restricting you to LC2+ guns, then ST doesn't hold you back much.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #18
Kaldrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllarson View Post
Partially. It allows one-handed use of two-handed heavy weapons, not off-hand use. You'd have to take OHWT to use in the off hand without penalty, and DWA if using 2 at once.
My point was that for one point you get a similar effect to the OHWT. I know how the penalties work...
Old 11-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #19
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Also, automatic fire never gets full Acc – that's for single shots...
Hmmm? Really? I thought RoF greater than one is pretty much a side effect, at least for the first round of firing.

Am I conceiving it wrong? Pull out M60 with one hand, Aim, then let loose at RoF10, and I get skill plus Acc plus RoF bonuses, less applicable penalties...

The second turn, you've disrupted your aim, so I lose Acc, but all else still applies.

No?
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #20
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

It's part of the special rules for gunslinger, not the general rules for aimed fire.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
army of one, balance, gun fu, overpowered, perks