Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-22-2016, 12:27 AM   #71
RyanW

Default Re: bending stereotypes

A superhero in a stable romantic relationship with someone who knows his secret identity and isn't getting herself kidnapped every other week.

The Chessmaster who has plans within plans and a response to every change of fortune... until revealed to be making it up as he went along just for a bit of fun at everyone else's expense, and his only real plan is his escape plan for when he's found out.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #72
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
How about a jock who is friendly to most everyone and enjoys a nice mani-pedi?
It's been done... but poorly... I remember a couple such characters being portrayed, and always as closeted gay males.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #73
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
It's been done... but poorly... I remember a couple such characters being portrayed, and always as closeted gay males.
Chekhov's flamboyant gun. It can't just expel a cute flag spelling out bang!
Lazy writing needs to telegraph EVERYTHING now.
Look at how obvious "twist ending" movies are. So far, I've called nearly all of them just from the first ad, and I'm horribly oblivious in general.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:00 PM   #74
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
A superhero in a stable romantic relationship with someone who knows his secret identity and isn't getting herself kidnapped every other week.

The Chessmaster who has plans within plans and a response to every change of fortune... until revealed to be making it up as he went along just for a bit of fun at everyone else's expense, and his only real plan is his escape plan for when he's found out.
A chessmaster who claims to have a Master Plan and a response to everything until it is revealed that he is just really good at reacting.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:33 PM   #75
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
A chessmaster who claims to have a Master Plan and a response to everything until it is revealed that he is just really good at reacting.
The big bad super villain lies. He monologues but his info is misdirection and BS just to see how much the allowed to escape hero/sidekick believes.

A laser base on the moon? You actually fell for that? Are you twelve?
Old 09-22-2016, 11:19 PM   #76
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The big bad super villain lies. He monologues but his info is misdirection and BS just to see how much the allowed to escape hero/sidekick believes.
That's a pretty good one.

Jews dance something besides a Hora at a wedding. Heck the couple don't even like Horas!

Russians have a drinking party without smashing bottles. What a waste!
Old 09-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #77
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Strictly speaking, monks live alone while cenobites live communally. However, the meanings of the words have drifted from their origins. (For "monk", the etymology traces to the Greek "monos" for "lone" or "one", via an adjective form "monakhos". "Cenobite" leads back to "koinos", for "common".) I think most people these days think of "monks" as living communally, so the words have become synonyms. And there's always "hermit" or "eremite" if you want to emphasize the solitude.
Ok, so if I have everything right:

• Friars work among the people of the world, but live a strictly religiously regimented life
  • Cenobites are secluded from the world but not from each other.
  • Monks (Cloistered Monks if you want to avoid ambiguity) are secluded from interacting with each other but live in close proximity, probably for reasons of logistics and to encourage discipline
  • Hermits live in what's pretty much full solitude

Are those fair statements?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:54 PM   #78
David Johnston2

I actually played this one. A vampire who wasn't elegant, upper class, pretty, or hideous. He was just an Irish-Canadian working stiff from the 19th century who wore plaid shirts and jeans.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #79
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I actually played this one. A vampire who wasn't elegant, upper class, pretty, or hideous. He was just an Irish-Canadian working stiff from the 19th century who wore plaid shirts and jeans.
Brujah, by any chance?
Old 09-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #80
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan
A cartoon rat whose personality actually resembles the good qualities of the real animal, such as being friendly, sociable, and well-groomed.
Mylar from Rock & Rule? Technically, he's a mutant descended from rats but...

Or most of the rats from The Secret of NIMH. Well, maybe not that friendly and sociable.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote