Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #21
Phase_Shifter

Default Re: I was hoping for this

This is kind of related to the map theming question--will there be a small number of playable maps, or will the game include randomly-generated terrain and/or a map editor?
Phase_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #22
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
You will just have to start writing about the game ;-)
Well, there's this Ogrezine coming out . . .
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #23
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
Well, there's this Ogrezine coming out . . .
Indeed there is!

More about this very soon!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #24
Buzzardo

A map and scenario editor would be great. Then we can share our villainous ideas more easily. :)

I can understand if the development team doesn't have the budget and time to make a map or scenario editor. To that end, I ask that the scenario file format be made public (and maybe even saved in something like JSON or XML). Then the software developers in the community can make editors.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:28 AM   #25
AurochJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
A map and scenario editor would be great. Then we can share our villainous ideas more easily. :)

I can understand if the development team doesn't have the budget and time to make a map or scenario editor. To that end, I ask that the scenario file format be made public (and maybe even saved in something like JSON or XML). Then the software developers in the community can make editors.
Thanks for getting in touch Buzzardo.

We can't say for sure about your enquiry for the time-being, but we'll have full details on all the features that will be included VERY soon :)
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #26
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir-talen View Post
When I first heard about the stretch goal of an Ogre video game adaptation, my first assumption is that it would be a relatively cheap quick and dirty remake of the original Apple game. I'm happy to be proved wrong with evidence that it's going to incorporate GEV and presumably Shockwave as well.
From what I've seen it looks pretty rockin' :)

Warning, I'm about to wax nostalgic here. I remember the late seventies and the eighties, and the gaming boom in scifi war games, war sims and rpgs for fantasy, scifi and other genres just exploded during those days. I remember Ogre, GEV and battlesuit were part of that, and always figured that all those games from the 80s would see ports in the late 80s or sometime in the 90s.

I guess I missed out on the original OGRE computer game, but I'm glad to be alive to witness a real cool looking version of the game with 3d accelerated graphics coming down the pipe. Just seeing those screens makes me feel like a pre-teen all over again.

Will there be sound effects and music?

Will Ogres be able to submerge in water?

Thanks for the game.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #27
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Questions

These are related to how the maps work and how they can be shared..

Community Sharing - Will there be a facility to share setups? In particular, will it be possible to import/export scenario setups? It would be really nice to be able to download fan-made scenario setups (customs overlay maps, etc) so you don't have to manually recreate the setups yourself.

Map Tiling - How big can you make maps? One assumes all the scenarios from at least ODE would be available, so that would require being able to combine maps to make larger maps (eg, combine G1 and S1). Another aspect of this is being able to use half maps. The ODE maps are split in half into North and South sections and it's possible to combine the North half of one with the South half of another to make a single "full-sized" map (eg, G1North with S1South).

Scenario Specific Rules overrides - With the various collections of scenarios out there, a number of them have special rules that aren't official. For example, units being able to move into hexes they would normally not be able. Are movement rules (in particular) going to be hard-fixed, or will it be possible to override and make an invalid move? In general, at least for multiplayer human online play, there should be a way to override rules to allow for flexibility. This would obviously be a lot harder for AI players.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #28
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
I guess I missed out on the original OGRE computer game, but I'm glad to be alive to witness a real cool looking version of the game with 3d accelerated graphics coming down the pipe. Just seeing those screens makes me feel like a pre-teen all over again.
You can see the original computer game on youtube
Old 07-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #29
woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
Thanks for getting in touch Buzzardo.

We can't say for sure about your enquiry for the time-being, but we'll have full details on all the features that will be included VERY soon :)
Looking forward to hearing more. Don't forget feature creep is the enemy of good enough and often on time delivery.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #30
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Ah yes, 286 days, when only "fancy" computers had color graphics, unless you had an apple hooked up to your TV or a Commodore. Heh, here's a suggestion, include the old version with the new :)
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote