Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #11
Dalin

Default Re: DF Bestiary Giants

This reminds me of a thread on the GURPS forum from last summer, Large variance of SMs together. It's intriguing to think about what the architecture would be like if it were designed for multiple SMs.

In this case, what if the giants had human-scale servants or slaves? Or what if they lived in alliance with smaller folk? There might be lamps hanging on wall hooks around the great hall with human-sized passages leading to them. Someone's job would be to use a wheelbarrow to bring barrels of oil to refill the lamps around the great hall. A feast hall might have pillars with interior rooms, windows, and balconies for smaller folk (keeping them out from underfoot). Hallways could have a smaller hall carved into the wall and staircases might have smaller stairs carved into the side, protected from giant feet. Maybe the idea would be to keep small folks off the floors and generally at shoulder or eye-level for the giants.

This would be an interesting setting to visit while it was inhabited or an unusual dungeon to explore after it was abandoned.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
T
This would be an interesting setting to visit while it was inhabited or an unusual dungeon to explore after it was abandoned.
Sounds difficult to map but a great mental image.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:04 PM   #13
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
And those who have [URL="http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0345"]The ceilings are "only" 60' tall, but a 45' giant could deal with that like a 6' human could deal with 8' ceilings (I lived in an apartment with 8' ceilings . . . it's no big deal).
Giants would probably be used to making do with smaller spaces than they'd like. The Compact Frame perk could be fun here: a nice adaptation that lets them use more caves – and surprise PCs by unfolding out of surprising places.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #14
Neveron

You can also just make a giant-sized dungeon: rather than running around and pretending to be children in the Steading of the Hill Giant Chieftain, you're in C.S. Lewis' The Silver Chair or in Jack and the Bean Stalk and clambering about on the giant's furniture like you're the size of a cat. After all, to a Sky Giant your 6' character isn't even 10"!

Or you just put them in big rooms or, well, outside. Maybe there's an open-air area of the dungeon complex, or there's a portal to the giant's castle, or there's a Sky Giant living in the not-Underdark in a rather massive cavern. Or there's just an underground colosseum big enough for a fight with one. (As for how they got there, well, a wizard did it.)

There's plenty of ways to handle it, and as has been pointed out it's not like they're the only monster that wants big areas - Large Dragons have the same size modifier, and you probably want them to be able to fly about for maximum impact!
Neveron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #15
b-dog

Adventuring in huge giant castles would be a good idea for a GURPS DF book. A Jack in the Beanstalk type giant adventure would be a lot of fun. Also smaller monsters would be fun to have notes on too, something like the jermlaine.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:14 AM   #16
Bruno

A Giant-scaled dungeon will reward adventurers with Climbing skills and light Encumbrance, which is always refreshing.

It might be easier to justify as a giant-scaled keep or castle, with literal cyclopean construction, but gigantic tunnels are fun too, and players who pick on the implausibility too much can roll PER to discover the chance of cave-in :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Giants would probably be used to making do with smaller spaces than they'd like. The Compact Frame perk could be fun here: a nice adaptation that lets them use more caves – and surprise PCs by unfolding out of surprising places.
Who's to say cramped isn't what they prefer. I like rather cluttered small spaces, enough that my cats prefer the more spacious living room.

Buy some inhuman flexibility would give nice creepy imagery, perhaps even a hint of Slenderman.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:28 AM   #18
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I find it easiest to imagine what a giant-sized dungeon would look like by thinking in terms of how a creature who would see me as such a giant might experience my home.

I stand 179 cm tall, which is 5.88'. I am to a 45' giant as a 9"-tall humanoid would be to me. A person that small would need to do a pull-up just to get atop the books on my lowest bookshelf, and could hide among the bottles of my home bar like I could hide among trees in a forest. My apartment would be 125 paces long for such a creature, and things on top shelves would be major climbing challenges. Narrow spaces behind and under furniture would be spacious corridors. If ST were scaled proportionally (ST 1-2), anything with a lid would be a firmly locked treasure vault.

So even a poor giant's "hovel" could be a huge, multi-level dungeon full of obstacles and secret passages, with vast numbers of things to kick in and pry open.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #19
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post

So even a poor giant's "hovel" could be a huge, multi-level dungeon full of obstacles and secret passages, with vast numbers of things to kick in and pry open.
Now I want to publish this. I hope *someone* does, because it's a great idea.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #20
Tom H.

I don't have his product, but the topic of adventuring in a giant's "dungeon" seems apropos to Phil Master's The Small Folk: A Wainscot Roleplaying Game.

Maybe those who have experience playing that have some insight into the design of Dungeon Fantasy giant dungeons and adventures.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestiary, d&d, dungeon fantasy, giants