Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-06-2018, 06:44 PM   #1
TippetsTX

Default Roll DX for Spells

Love this mechanic, but there's a problem... IQ 15 wizard casts Magic Fist, but according to ITL pg. 142, "Spell IQ at least 5 less than the wizard’s: The wizard may cast the spell without appearing to move a muscle." So what's the point of the adjDX roll? It's not like the wizard has to point or aim, right?
Old 12-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Roll DX for Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Love this mechanic, but there's a problem... IQ 15 wizard casts Magic Fist, but according to ITL pg. 142, "Spell IQ at least 5 less than the wizard’s: The wizard may cast the spell without appearing to move a muscle." So what's the point of the adjDX roll? It's not like the wizard has to point or aim, right?
DX also governs things like action sequence. So a higher DX character would get to disbelieve an illusion before it hits.

Therefore DX covers mental quickness and physical agility.

Last edited by hcobb; 12-06-2018 at 07:02 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
DX also governs things like action sequence. So a higher DX character would get to disbelieve an illusion before it hits.
I get that. I'm only asking about the 'to hit' roll. DX makes sense when spell casting requires targeting and gestures, but when your IQ is high neither of those things seem to be a factor anymore for low-level spells.

Just curious if anyone else finds this odd.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #4
platimus

You aren't the only one. Everything looks odd if you look at it too long. In this particular scenario, I tell myself the DX check is for the tongue-twister that spell recital must be.

"Sally sells sea-shells by the sea-shore!"

POWWW!!!

Your foe is smacked by an invisible hand.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
You aren't the only one. Everything looks odd if you look at it too long. In this particular scenario, I tell myself the DX check is for the tongue-twister that spell recital must be.
That can't be it, though, since wizard is able to cast the spell silently as well.

TBH, I've often wondered if silent and still casting shouldn't be a roll with increased difficulty (i.e. 4d6 or 5d6 against IQ) rather than a free benefit of a high IQ.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-06-2018 at 09:03 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
platimus

Quote:
That can't be it, though, since wizard is able to cast the spell silently as well.
He doesn't have to recite it loudly enough for anyone to hear it but he still has to at least mouth the words.

Quote:
TBH, I've often wondered if silent and still casting shouldn't be a roll with increased difficulty (i.e. 4d6 or 5d6 against IQ) rather than a function of a high IQ.
There's no reason you can't do both, as a house-rule that is. If IQ is not +5 greater but need to cast silent and/or still, add a die to the test. If IQ is +5 greater, roll as normal.

Last edited by platimus; 12-06-2018 at 09:04 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
TippetsTX

Quote:
He doesn't have to recite it loudly enough for anyone to hear it but he still has to at least mouth the words.
Maybe, although "...without appearing to move a muscle" seems like it would preclude the need for any mouth movement as well.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #8
platimus

Quote:
Maybe, although "...without appearing to move a muscle" seems like it would preclude the need for any mouth movement as well.
Key phrase in bold :)

Someone passing a 4 or 5 die IQ perception check might notice his mouth moving when the dummy speaks! LOL
Old 12-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #9
TippetsTX

Quote:
Key phrase in bold :)

Someone passing a 4 or 5 die IQ perception check might notice his mouth moving when the dummy speaks! LOL
New talent... Ventriloquist!
Old 12-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #10
platimus

Quote:
New talent... Ventriloquist!
I knew that was coming! LOL

That's what makes the perception check a 5 or 6 die test!
(Please don't let it aid silent/still spell-casting. That talent already exists though.)