Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2019, 12:54 AM   #81
ColBosch

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Yes. So much more than you know. And I can't say. But it's truly amazing from my end.
I am very happy to hear that. A rising tide lifts all boats, as they say.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #82
Mr_Sandman

I'm curious, does the Fantastic Dungeon Grappling booklet for the new stretch goal contain the same material as in Hall of Judgment, or is it revised or added to in some way? Are the only ways to get the Fantastic Dungeon Grappling booklet by getting the box set in the Monsters 2 kickstarter (if the stretch goal is reached), or as an add-on to the Citadel at Noršvorn kickstarter?
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #83
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
I'm curious, does the Fantastic Dungeon Grappling booklet for the new stretch goal contain the same material as in Hall of Judgment, or is it revised or added to in some way? Are the only ways to get the Fantastic Dungeon Grappling booklet by getting the box set in the Monsters 2 kickstarter (if the stretch goal is reached), or as an add-on to the Citadel at Noršvorn kickstarter?
Fantastic Dungeon Grappling is now 8 pages instead of four. It incorporates learning from over a year of play in terms of penalties and how folks actually grapple in the game. Experience showed that while the control points given and received were *fair*, they were not always *fun*, and I don't care how realistic a system is, if it's not fun you won't use it.

We also looked at things that monsters need to do (swallow PCs whole), flying creatures need to do (pick you up and fly away with you so they can eat you later or feed you to their hungry offspring), and some dedicated "abracadabra you're grappled" spells. I think we amplified on a few other options as well.

There are two ways to get it.

The first - and best - is to contribute to the Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 Kickstarter at the boxed set level, AND see to it that the $45,000 stretch goal is reached for that product. If that happens, SJG will be including a copy of FDG in each box printed, if I understand it correctly.

The other way is to add $4 for the PDF, $7 for print, or $9 for Print + PDF to the Citadel at Nordvorn pledge, and when you get to backerkit, you'll be able to place that in your cart with the credit you'll receive from your pledge.

That's it, really. I do need to add the FDG banner and text (probably the text above, actually) to my Citadel campaign. Yesterday and today have been fantastic and nutso and exciting on both a personal and professional level, so I'm a step behind on that front.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #84
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Experience showed that while the control points given and received were *fair*, they were not always *fun*
Out of curiosity, what have people said wasn't (always) fun? Were the control effects overpowered, or underpowered, or just right but a pain to play, or what?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #85
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Out of curiosity, what have people said wasn't (always) fun? Were the control effects overpowered, or underpowered, or just right but a pain to play, or what?
Part of it was being grappled by a ST 60 8 arm kraken . . . >__> That's my bad. That's my fault. I did that. <__<

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #86
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Part of it was being grappled by a ST 60 8 arm kraken . . . >__> That's my bad. That's my fault. I did that. <__<
I dunno... that sounds like kraken good fun to me.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #87
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I dunno... that sounds like kraken good fun to me.
Christopher/Stantz is both right and wrong. In particular, the kraken did grab the party Tank, grappled him into immobility in one strike, no saving throw and no recourse. That being said: FREAKIN KRAKEN. So that's expected.

What wound up happening though was that in any sort of combat except in really mild circumstances, one good hit rendered you out of play. The "give and take" of grappling was not present because it was a "one hit, then spectate" thing. So we fixed it. Gentler penalties and a limit on the control maximum unless you All-Out Attack helped that a ton.

Anyway: it's both the same as the simpler version in HoJ, but improved for play purposes.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:24 AM   #88
philreed
I do stuff and things.

We're very close to seeing two more stretch goals fall.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2451613
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #89
Mr_Sandman

I went ahead and sprang for the Players Pack add on. Then went ahead and backed Noršvörn at the Viking Raider level to get Hall of Judgment too, with enough to add on the Grappling booklet.

I figure with that added investment, I'll make sure to actually play the game, even if I have to find some new players to do it with.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #90
Refplace

Last night I upped my Citadel pledge to get the Grappling and a bookmark.
The timing is off for me to afford more on either campaign, as it is I'll probably skip eating for about a week.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote