Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-30-2005, 01:39 AM   #31
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: How balanced is GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert
So, is there to be an option to make sweeps or area attacks with them, like RuneQuest let its giants?
I'm not sure about area attacks, but I'll take it under advisement. I was thinking more about other options we have in mind.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 01:51 AM   #32
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
I'm not sure about area attacks, but I'll take it under advisement. I was thinking more about other options we have in mind.
Not related to using the wait maneuver against a 2 reach impaling attack, right?
;p
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 01:59 AM   #33
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha
Not related to using the wait maneuver against a 2 reach impaling attack, right?
;p
Nope. That's not even on the list. We do have some extra detail on Wait, though.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:02 AM   #34
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Nope. That's not even on the list. We do have some extra detail on Wait, though.
I never did quite understand how you clarified Wait working against a reach 2 impaling attack on the other thread.

Extra detail for Wait will be good, probably be able to clarify how to do Stop Hits as well, I'm sure.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:13 AM   #35
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
It depends on relative mobility. I've seen high-Move, high-Dodge GURPS warriors with two- and three-yard greatswords and pole weapons prevail over hordes of foes armed only with one-yard shortswords simply by backpedalling every few turns, always stepping back after an attack, and always retreating when attacked. We plan to give long, two-handed weapons a further boost in Martial Arts, too, to represent the fact that they can deny a huge swath of space to attackers unwilling to step into nine feet of whirring log or crowbar.
Does that mean that MA is in production? COOL!

I can't wait for the playtest...
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:51 AM   #36
copeab

Quote:
It depends on relative mobility. I've seen high-Move, high-Dodge GURPS warriors with two- and three-yard greatswords and pole weapons prevail over hordes of foes armed only with one-yard shortswords simply by backpedalling every few turns, always stepping back after an attack, and always retreating when attacked.
Of course, this really doesn't apply to groups that don't run combat on a map (and yes, we are out there).

Brandon
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:13 AM   #37
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
I don't remember exactly how Wait works right now, but...

(a) if a Wait allows you to make a contest of skills to see if you interrupt the other guy, I'd give the character with the longer weapon a bonus. +2 per extra hex of reach sounds 'bout right.

(b) If a Wait is an automatic interrupt, I'd maybe give the person being interrupted effectively a Parry vs the incoming Waiter, at +1 per extra hex of reach.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:04 AM   #38
Pursuivant

Quote:
It depends on relative mobility. I've seen high-Move, high-Dodge GURPS warriors with two- and three-yard greatswords and pole weapons prevail over hordes of foes armed only with one-yard shortswords simply by backpedalling every few turns, always stepping back after an attack, and always retreating when attacked.
That squares with my observations of SCA sport combat - assuming that the fighter with the longer weapon is tactically astute, faster than his foes, and very skilled.

The main problem with backpedaling is that a man running backward is slower than a man running forward. Eventually, he gets flanked, unless he's fighting in a narrow corridor.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:00 PM   #39
Hyrneson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant
The main problem with backpedaling is that a man running backward is slower than a man running forward. Eventually, he gets flanked, unless he's fighting in a narrow corridor.
That is a matter of training. If pushed, unless its overwhelming numbers, I was taught how to work backward in a spiral and to use my weapon or shield as a pivot point. The outcome being that I am backing in a small tight spiraling circle (spiraling in and out) while my opponent(s) are in a track meet running in large circles.
And for fun, every now and then I stop backing up and side step in and am (effectively in GURPS terms) in C range combat where I try a wrap shot or a passing feint and go for a leg on the way out. It doesn't work often but it keeps them honest as I retrograde some more, wearing them out.

RH
Hyrneson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:33 AM   #40
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant
IME against two opponents the single guy ends up going in circles as he tries to use one of the opponents to block off the other, and as he tries to get some 'quality time' with one opponent on his own.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice, kromm answer