Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Reverse Cosmic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white33 View Post
What i really wanted to know was if there existed an in RAW generic limitation version of "Cosmic", sadly the answer seems to be a definite no; Pity, there should be.
The thing is, though, that Cosmic isn't nearly as generic as you're making it out to be. It's not some sort of all-purpose "existing enhancement doesn't do what I need? Slap Cosmic on it!" thing. Cosmic is specfically for abilities that "break the rules", going beyond the normal limits of the advantage entirely. And there isn't just one Cosmic enhancement - it's a category, not a single thing. For example, making a defense capable of protecting against what it's normally not capable is +50%, while removing the roll from an ability that normally requires one is +100%, and making an attack that ignores any bonuses to defend against it is +300%.
Cosmic doesn't really mean "generic". It means "GMs beware, this could potentially break your game - handle with care!".

In most circumstances, the best thing to do when an advantage doesn't have the enhancement or limitation you want is to create a new one, comparing it to existing limitations. Just shrugging and saying "eh, slap on Cosmic" will end up leading to either overpriced or underpriced powers, depending on what you're trying to do and what version of Cosmic you use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white33
"Speak only": Oops... Sorry, i was assuming "Telesend" established a two-way mental chat; my bad... Still, i'm curious on how this would be done for an inherently two way communication
You'd want Mind Reading as well as Telesend, with a limitation for "only on people I have contacted with Telesend" on the Mind Reading. Probably extended range on the Mind Reading as well, if you want to be able to "listen" with the same range as you "talk".
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limitations, telesend