Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #231
mook

Default Re: Game Geekery - GURPS Content Posts

Greetings all, both far and wide, and happy GURPSDay!I felt the need for something a little fun and light this week, so today I share with you "The Briefcase Story," a (hopefully) amusing gaming anecdote from many years past.
It is a tale of the old "Top Secret" game from TSR, of new players and impulsive decisions, of teenage boys who revel in silly mayhem and madness and the GMs who loved them.

I've placed it in the GURPS feed even though it was a different game system, since it speaks to one of my formative experiences as a GM and that *is* GURPS-related.

I hope you enjoy the story, and it rattles some memories loose of your own early gaming days.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #232
mook

Howdy, Folks!

Today's delicious morsel of GURPS is a quick video tour of the always wonderful GURPS Calculator (gCalc) web app. It's about 11 minutes long and touches on all the main Tools, including the new "GM Board" which hasn't even gone live yet (spoiler: you will love it).

I wrote about gCalc six months ago, so I thought this time around a video might give better insight into what it can do for you as a GURPS player and GM.

It's super useful at the table. I hope you check it out and enjoy it as much as I do!
Old 12-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #233
mook

Folks, these are wonderful days to be in the GURPS fold!

Even as we're getting over the success of the first-ever "Powered by GURPS" Kickstarter for the Dungeon Fantasy boxed set, we are treated to a truly massive sale on all GURPS PDFs (40% off!), and the first-ever release of select out-of-print books as print-on-demand (Ultra-Tech, Magic, and Thaumatology).

The waters are being chummed with all kinds of GURPS-y goodness. I hope the response is overwhelming, definitive, and financially off the charts. The future of GURPS is being determined now, and personally, I'm hoping it is bright, bright, bright.

And as if all that isn't enough to give me a perma-smile into the new year, some fantastic fan-created items are being released, namely the GM Board for the GURPS Calculator app (live now) and an overhauled, up-to-date GURPS ruleset for the Fantasy Grounds VTT (hoping for December release).

An embarrassment of riches, and an ideal way to bring the year to a close. Come read all about it.

Oh -- the GURPS Discord Server continues to be a great success. Why haven't you stopped in yet to say Howdy? The more the merrier!
Old 12-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #234
mook

Hello, hello, my lovely readers, and a happy year's end to you all!

December was a rollercoaster ride, and obviously it royally messed with my posting schedule. But a new year is dawning and the blog is back on track for even better and bigger things. My apologies for the lack of new content in a while.

Today's post is the final of 2016, so it seems appropriate to look back at the year and review. I discuss my "real life" gaming, the ongoing state of "How to Be a GURPS GM," the year in Game Geekery and in GURPS, and my goals for the blog in 2017, all topped off with a poll for you to choose which kinds of posts you'd like to see more of.

Thank you, all, for the feedback and support this year! Looking for ever-greater things ahead as we journey into 2017.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #235
Kalzazz

I really want to see 'The Continuing Adventures of Kerna Dalton'
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #236
mook

Happy New Year, all!

The clear leader of last week's voting was for more in the "Streamlining GURPS" series, so today I've posted a very freeform and very quick magic system I use for convention games and other one-shots.

It was inspired, oddly enough, by Presto the Magician from the old D&D cartoon, and his crazy powerful but often unreliable magic hat.

Enjoy, I hope, and let me know if you give it a try in one of your games.

2017: let the wild GURPSing start!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #237
mook

Just because they never produced the series finale of the old D&D cartoon from the '80s doesn't mean you can't play an adventure based on the script!

After last week's magic system post based on Presto's magic hat, there was some interest in the adventure that system was originally written for. So, today's post offers up the notes and characters that I used to GM it (in GURPS, of course).

The "Requiem" script tied up the cartoon series nicely and made for a fun adventure. Are you up for one final confrontation with Venger? As always, it just might lead to a way home... assuming you even want it!

I'd love to hear how it goes if you ever GM this somewhere.

"There is still much evil to be dealt with, and many adventures yet to be had. The choice, my children, is yours." -- Dungeon Master
Old 01-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #238
AOTA

I will so run this adventure. I supported this Kickstarter awhile back and when the figures arrive they will be fun to run with the adventure.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...r-gamers-and-r
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive

Last edited by AOTA; 01-12-2017 at 05:24 PM.
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #239
mook

Those minis are pretty great... looks like the kids chose to stay in the Realms!
Old 01-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #240
GM Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTA View Post
I will so run this adventure. I supported this Kickstarter awhile back and when the figures arrive they will be fun to run with the adventure.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...r-gamers-and-r
I really wish I'd known about that one! I seem to miss 9 out of 10 kickstarters that I would have backed.

Tags
blog, blogs