Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
kenclary

Default Re: [Grappling] Forcing someone to drink something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
Hamlet's making a social Influence roll to make Claudius drink the poison himself. This thread seems to be about forcing him to drink it, even when he's exerting all his physical power to avoid it.
In fact, it may be best to go the A-Team route and spike his milk.
kenclary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
Hamlet's making a social Influence roll to make Claudius drink the poison himself.
That's at variance with the way the scene is almost always played.

But I'd take that Claudius has a large Shock penalty, from having just been stabbed.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
Tinman

IDHMBWM but, I know there are rules for forcing somone to drop somthing after they are grappled. You could use the same rules and apply it to the face, to force the target to oppen his mouth. Pour in the potion & then grapple face to cut-off the air. Then he'll eventually have to swallow.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
Mgellis

A different approach...

While it is interesting to work out specific techniques, etc., we may be over-thinking this. I'd say it is just two rolls:

1) Grapple his head with one hand.

2) If you get control of his head, a quick contest of ST determines if you can force the drink into his mouth, etc.

(This is based on many years of making cats take medicine, etc.)
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
kenclary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
...then grapple face to cut-off the air. Then he'll eventually have to swallow.
This is the part that might be cinematic. Against a human who knows they don't want to swallow something, I'm not sure if preventing them from breathing will make them swallow it. (I'm not experienced in these matters, however, and wikipedia isn't helping greatly.)
kenclary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenclary View Post
This is the part that might be cinematic. Against a human who knows they don't want to swallow something, I'm not sure if preventing them from breathing will make them swallow it. (I'm not experienced in these matters, however, and wikipedia isn't helping greatly.)
No, it won't quite make them swallow it automatically. The theory, more or less, is that you get the liquid into their mouth somehow. Then you clamp a hand over their mouth, both so they can't spit it out and so that they can't breath in. At the same time you clamp their nose shut so they can't breathe that way. Then you hold them there until they choose between swallowing or never breathing again. It helps if you have a substantial quantity of liquid that fills their mouth.

But, I've only ever seen the maneuver on television*. I don't know if it would actually work, and no one in the studio is agreeing to reality test it today. Still, I'd let PCs give it a shot, even (or perhaps especially) in a brutually realistic game.

* Medical professionals who have to give drugs to unwilling patients seem to prefer having a handful of orderlies hold the patient down and then administer a hypodermic shot. That is, if they can't use bed restraints or wait until the patient falls unconscious.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forcefeeding