Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #31
offsides

Default Re: Ogrezine 2

Wow, that's a bit more expensive than I expected. I would have thought POD prices would be a little bit lower, but I guess not. The per-page costs must not quite be linear, as the math doesn't give the same setup cost for B&W as Color, but it appears that the base setup cost for POD is $8-10, which certainly raises the floor as well. Still, it'll be nice to get my hands on a proper physical copy of the Ogrezines, as opposed to my printed, binder-clip secured one :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:31 AM   #32
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Wow, that's a bit more expensive than I expected. I would have thought POD prices would be a little bit lower, but I guess not.
There are a lot of factors that affect cost. Ultimately, offset printing is cheaper than POD printing. Where POD printing shines is that it allows you to create printed books for a much, much smaller audience. POD printing is for selling dozens to hundreds of copies; offset is for selling thousands.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #33
sparky00

Grateful to get both Ogrezine and Scenario books in printed format, and glad that POD makes that possible, even though the price is slightly higher.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #34
Cat

Very happy for the PODs, much better than taking the pdfs to Staples to get a colour print out.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #35
Mack_JB

My copies of both Ogrezine I/II and Scenarios 1-3 just arrived from Amazon.

They are nicely made, and after a quick thumbing through, appear to be 'all there' with no major errors. The color is good (I went for the all color versions), and the layout matches the PDFs nicely. The binding and trimming of the final books is also excellent quality.

My sole nit-picking complaint would be I wish the paper was a bit heavier stock, and glossier -- but that's just a minor nit from personal preference, not a real problem with the products.

Thank you to all at SJG who brought this together for us long term fans.

(IOW, it's worth the expenditure to get them).
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #36
jfleisher

I got my scenario book today as well, very nice, looks great!

I’m holding off on the Ogrezine book until later, I have a feeling there will be more Ogrezine issues in the near future, and I want them all in one volume if possible.

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #37
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleisher View Post
I’m holding off on the Ogrezine book until later, I have a feeling there will be more Ogrezine issues in the near future, and I want them all in one volume if possible.
I thought of that too, but the size of I & II is such that adding more would likely make for a weaker binding -- thus the next step would be to bundle III & IV into one title (once they are produced down the line).
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #38
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
There are a lot of factors that affect cost. Ultimately, offset printing is cheaper than POD printing. Where POD printing shines is that it allows you to create printed books for a much, much smaller audience. POD printing is for selling dozens to hundreds of copies; offset is for selling thousands.
I understand - and I greatly appreciate the fact that POD allows you to make Ogrezine available as a quality printed volume given the smaller audience and higher minimum quantities for offset printing. I just was hoping it wouldn't be quite that expensive. That said, I got my printed copy yesterday, and am quite happy with it. My one nit is that most of the pages of Volume II have a small white border around the edges, as though the cut was shifted off about 1/16", but it's not enough to be a problem. I'm also honored that my Pittsburgh article is listed on the back cover as a highlight of Volume I, and that the amazing image Brandon created for it is also used for the inside cover page. Now to find the time to put something together for Volume III... :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #39
sparky00

Just received my POD versions of Ogrezine 1-2 & the Scenario Books 1-3 - color version.

These are my first POD purchases, so I was little wary.

Initial impressions are that my expectations have been exceeded!

The quality of the printing is very good - no bleed, perfect register, and vibrant color.

The paper is smooth and fairly glossy. Each book has a nice "feel" to it.

Ogrezine was considerably thicker than I anticipated - I'd forgotten how much great stuff is crammed into each of these volumes!

I strongly recommend getting the color version, if feasible (i understand the iron constraints of budget - most acutely at times). The artwork is just beautiful and the color reproductions are terrific.

Highly recommended!

Thanks again to the SJG team & KS backers for making it all possible.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:17 PM   #40
Izzy_B

My copies just arrived and boy are they nice!

Thank you to the folks at SJG who made the PoD versions possible!
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote