Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #1
Cat

Default III-B and Ninja/Vulcan Conversions

Some works in progress here, dicing and splicing plastic models.

The double-barreled nose of the Mk.V fits surprisingly well on the the Mk.III hull; only takes a tiny shaving to get the spliced join smoothed over. Just spray painted the base speckled camouflage for the first Ogres of the Forces of Grey including the III-B, III, and Fencer.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1148...7216107968770/

Construction photos of the III-B here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1148...7195277343770/

Also in the works for the Forces of Grey are a pair of Ninjas that can morph into Vulcans. Took a little more work splicing the ends of the Mk.IV onto the middle of the Mk.III. The main battery and work arms are held on with magnets. I have some 28 gauge galvanised steel on the way which will form the top-deck of the rear cargo hatch to drop over the missiles to complete the Vulcan tranformation (and then can carry magnetised infantry and pallets on the deck).
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1148...7186110913770/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1148...7195277343770/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1148...7194734413770/

Last edited by Cat; 04-28-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
offsides

Default Re: III-B and Ninja/Vulcan Conversions

Very nice!!! Excellent kit-bashing skills! I wish I had time to do some stuff like that, but instead I'll live vicariously through others who do. :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:37 PM   #3
Desert Scribe

Very impressive!
Old 04-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
ColBosch

I said it on the Facebook page, and I'll say it here: these are spectacular and inspiring! Ooo, and I'll add something more! Maybe this could be the basis of my custom Oni, so it has different lines from my metal Mk III-Bs!
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:16 PM   #5
Cat

Thanks folks!

I do like the look of the Mk.V double-snout more than that of the metal III-B. That's a consideration for kitbashing while we wait for a possible future plastic model. (Or maybe a plastic model could be sleeker than the old metal design?)

In my case, the Grey Force is getting a heavy allotment of Combiney Ogres for duty in the great white north: The Taiga Frontier Force. I'm starting to think out scenario possibilities; M3, M6, and M7 combos should work well for northern Canada.

They will also be getting a number of Mk.Is, Mk.IIs, and variants for frontier duty. I'll be building on ideas from this scenario I came across awhile ago, Taiga By The Tail:
http://www.cke1st.com/Games/ogretaig.htm
Old 04-29-2019, 12:12 AM   #6
Izzy_B

Impressive! The thick plastic of the Ogres completely scares me away from trying to do cuts like that.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:07 AM   #7
schoon

Great work!

As a fellow kitbasher, I appreciate fine skills!
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #8
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
The thick plastic of the Ogres completely scares me away from trying to do cuts like that.
They are excessively thick, that is for sure. I generally prefer cutting with XActos rather than saws; and these take a lot of elbow grease to cut through.

The good news is that just gouging away at the inside can thin out the walls significantly. I started by deeply scoring the outside line of the cuts. Then, as I suspect the gouging might be getting close enough, I alternate with more scoring from the outside. When you start to see the scoring cause a line of discolouration on the inside, then the gouging is done and now it's time for pure cutting.

I alternate between the ever-popular #11 blade and my trusty #16 depending on which gives the best bite while rocking it back and forth.

You can really lean on the #16. I always use that in the ancestral pen-knife handle (it was my Grandfather's!) — the butt end of it has a nice rounded shape that you can really press down with the palm of your hand. The newer pen-knife from XActo has a blunt end which isn't as great for leaning on.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:39 AM   #9
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
They are excessively thick, that is for sure. I generally prefer cutting with XActos rather than saws; and these take a lot of elbow grease to cut through.

The good news is that just gouging away at the inside can thin out the walls significantly. I started by deeply scoring the outside line of the cuts. Then, as I suspect the gouging might be getting close enough, I alternate with more scoring from the outside. When you start to see the scoring cause a line of discolouration on the inside, then the gouging is done and now it's time for pure cutting.

I alternate between the ever-popular #11 blade and my trusty #16 depending on which gives the best bite while rocking it back and forth.

You can really lean on the #16. I always use that in the ancestral pen-knife handle (it was my Grandfather's!) — the butt end of it has a nice rounded shape that you can really press down with the palm of your hand. The newer pen-knife from XActo has a blunt end which isn't as great for leaning on.
Reading that and looking at the knives in the photos, I fear were I to try the same it would result in a trip to the ER. If I ever try anything similar it will be with the nice files and saws sold here in Tokyo for the Gundam builders.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:26 PM   #10
cephalopagus

I think SJG needs to hire you maybe then we'll get all the minis designed we want.
cephalopagus is offline   Reply With Quote