Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #31
offsides

Default Re: So who has completed the campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
I'm also thinking a Mk I overrunning a town hex with 9 INF and a SHVY should be considered a bug, but I'm not reporting it. :)
Well, even if you don't report it, I'm thinking that Mk I is getting squashed like a bug...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #32
selenite

It rammed the SHVY so it didn't go down without a fight. But, yes, it was a quick squashing.

I need to watch the Ogre overruns more carefully. I think they're taking a shot with their APs in the ramming phase, which is not how GEV overruns work IIRC.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #33
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
I need to watch the Ogre overruns more carefully. I think they're taking a shot with their APs in the ramming phase, which is not how GEV overruns work IIRC.
Yeah they are definitely shooting APs in both phases. I keep meaning to look up if this is as wrong as I think it is.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #34
Thirdpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yeah they are definitely shooting APs in both phases. I keep meaning to look up if this is as wrong as I think it is.
Oh good, it wasn't just me. Yeah. We need to get that reported.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #35
TokyoDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I just finished the campaign, and all I can say is (especially in #10) save often. It seems to have some gremlins in it that cause the scenario to barf. I was 2 turns away from easily completing it when I tried the replay button for the first time (the game routed my Mark III through rubble and got it stuck). That's probably a UI/AI bug in itself... there was a clear path the other way, why would it ever route through something it can get stuck in when there's no reason to?

The second time, I was on the final turn and decided to overrun the objective with my mark IV, and the overrun got locked up into a loop where I couldn't target the building to fire, or ram. being a long scenario, I was not very happy being 2+ hours into it (again) to be screwed on the final turn. thankfully, I did a save game and load and even though what loaded was a little odd, it still let me finish the scenario.

So fair warning, things are still a bit dodgy so save often.

Other than that, overall I'm very happy with the concepts in the scenarios. most of them play well, even if they didn't seem particularly difficult. I really think the last one is unbalanced; it was way too easy, especially with the reinforcements. There were still a few lingering bugs around disabled units that probably helped a little, but they didn't make that much of a difference. I still had an overwhelming force at the end of the game.

I think with some AI improvements, they would be harder/more balanced
Did you ever try loading any of the games your had saved? I found that loading a game produces a game state that, at best, is completely out of sync in its phases, or, at worst, produces hung game that is in a state that is 5 turns or more before what was saved.
TokyoDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #36
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDan View Post
Did you ever try loading any of the games your had saved? I found that loading a game produces a game state that, at best, is completely out of sync in its phases, or, at worst, produces hung game that is in a state that is 5 turns or more before what was saved.
Better those than the ones that leave you in control of Nightfall's units and won't let you end phase.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #37
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Only once, and that was out of desperation because the save/load is so unstable right now. It got me out of a jam the one time I tried to use it, but the game state was weird, to say the least. Better than having to start over again, but only barely.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:40 AM   #38
GuyMacon

Quote:
I am reporting this as having been fixed. See [ http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=152434 ]. Please retest and confirm that the bug you are talking about still exists.
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #39
piningforthefjords

Just got finished. It was a pretty good experience overall. Extra thanks to the forum members who suggested to save often. Otherwise I don't think I would have finished I would have been too mad about the endless overrun loops that I found myself in multiple times - including overrunning the last Nightfall CP in the last scenario and getting trapped in a loop! As it was I just exited and reloaded a saved game (I was saving every move or two) and all was good.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #40
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by piningforthefjords View Post
Just got finished. It was a pretty good experience overall. Extra thanks to the forum members who suggested to save often. Otherwise I don't think I would have finished I would have been too mad about the endless overrun loops that I found myself in multiple times - including overrunning the last Nightfall CP in the last scenario and getting trapped in a loop! As it was I just exited and reloaded a saved game (I was saving every move or two) and all was good.
Yeah, that was exactly the experience I had. Down to the very last turn, ready to win and get stuck in an overrun wormhole... Arrgh!