Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Buy Stone Flesh rings

The only reason you wouldn't buy a Stone Flesh ring as your first magic item (not counting potions) is if you accidentally selected non-Wizard during character creation (You'll know better than to make that mistake the next time around) and so need to buy a magic weapon to deal with all the monsters that are only damaged by staves or other magical weapons.

For only $4k the Stone Flesh ring stops more damage types than +4 armor (ITL 108) for half the cost. Poison is one of the few things it doesn't defend against (ITL 125) and even that needs to either get past the Stone Skin or be delivered as a gas bomb. (As a wizard you'll of course have a high enough IQ to spot such traps, especially if Alertness is one of your only talents.)

Next get weapon expertise (for whatever form your staff is, most likely Dagger) and with a 5-die defend you'll have only a one in almost eight thousand chance of getting hit for triple damage. As a wizard you'll be able to combine the Defend option with either occult staff zaps or maintaining damaging creations so unlike whatever non-wizards are called, you're capable of stacking offensive and defensive options together.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Buy Stone Flesh rings

Stone Flesh rings are pretty great. But if your GM won't let you buy one on wizard Amazon, you might have a few years of play in front of you before you will be capable of making or stealing one!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
Chris Rice

And that's why I don't allow characters to just buy the magic items they desire at the listed prices. I don't want a game in which they're running about loaded with magic items; if that's what I wanted I'd have kept playing D&D.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
hcobb

Even if you don't have a magic shop (as on page ITL 170, in a village of a few hundred at most...) then your typical starting goblin pythoness of IQ 17 has a 70% chance of finding a Stone Flesh ring for sale each week (ITL 166) and if magic items are much rarer than that then the only way your party members are holding magic weapons is if they each cast the Staff spell.

In which case they depend on their naturally stony skin to protect them as they do the silver halberd charge flight. (Wight being the sound they make when they're hit for 3d magical weapon damage of course.)
Old 10-11-2019, 10:44 PM   #5
larsdangly

Yoiks. #notmyTFT
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:05 PM   #6
Skarg

No, please stop.

The only thing I agree with about any of this is the idea that Stone Flesh is far less expensive than it should be.

Stone Flesh seems to me very powerful (especially when combined with other armor) and I would say should probably both cost more AND have a ST cost to maintain.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote