Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-14-2018, 07:18 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Planetary Superstructures

Planetary Superstructures are massive structures that englobe the underlying planet. While they would likely be TL11+ comstructions, they are technically feasible, especially the designs that would use buoyancy to float in the atmospheres of Greenhouse Terrestrial Planets or Small Gas Giants. In the later case, such a structure could be made that possesses dozens of times the surface area of the Earth yet could possess many of the attributes of the Earth, like plate tectonics and continental drift, allowing such an artifact to appear to be natural to long range sensors. Unlike Stellar Superstructures, they do not require superscience, just a lot of time and effort.

Do you have any Planetary Superstructures in your settings? If not, have you ever designed any? If so, would you be willing to share?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
naloth

Default Re: Planetary Superstructures

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Do you have any Planetary Superstructures in your settings? If not, have you ever designed any? If so, would you be willing to share?
Not like this. In a campaign long ago nearly every well inhabited object had orbiting stuff of various thickness all around it. You could expand the concept to gradually engulf whatever you were ringing completely. Satellites -> Orbital Stations -> Connect the Stations -> Rings of Stations -> Engulfed over time.

That seems easier than trying to get a massive city or planetary structure floating inside the atmosphere.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I've got a game featuring an orbital ring around earth. Its mainly used for cheap space launches. The players are set in the earth-side port of Jakarta, and the goings on from the ring are important to the plot, but the players never go there. I included it to increase Jakarta's importance, and to set the right mood technology wise.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:51 PM   #4
RyanW

I've run relatively few SF games (and mostly Star Wars when I have), but among the scenarios I've considered are a plot to sabotage the construction of a space elevator, a setting with an orbital ring platform around Earth, and an cyberpunk ecumenopolis.