Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
jacobmuller

Default Re: Limpet mine damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Wait...does that mean that a brain-bomb does x3 rather than the normal brain x4? (The x3 is characterized as relating to the Vitals hit location on B415, I think.) Or that it does x3*x4 for x12?

Also, does this ever apply to unliving or homogeneous targets?
No, just a typo - he does do typos:0
Brain damage is x4 and replaces the x3 for internal explosions.
Unliving and Homogeneous only count for Impaling and Piercing.
Diffuse takes normal injury from explosions - x3 wound mod applies.
(unless I'm wrong:))
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Does this also assume that the damage is maximized, for max x3 damage?

After all, if jumping over a grenade and covering with your body means that you take maximum damage, having one explode in your guts out to have the same effect, plus the vitals multiplier...
I'd say no - he only noted max dam for Fully Contained on Exterior.
I'd consider it for an internal vehicle explosion, grenade in a tank, ie something that could hold the maximum damage and was smaller than the dice of damage but I'm not sure what the official view would be.

PS I only know the answers here coz I asked seriously daft questions in the past: Wisdom comes from experience; experience comes from a lack of wisdom.

Last edited by jacobmuller; 07-13-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: admission of prior guilt:)
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Yeah, in the brain, use ×4. And no, don't use maximum damage for this. The ×3 or ×4 for being inside someone is instead of that. "Maximum damage" is just a way to avoid saying "×12/7."
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
That is correct. "Maximum possible damage" is for contained explosions.
Thanks! Another post to put on my home-made GM screen when I get round to producing it...
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #15
vierasmarius

I suppose for the ~2% of the time in which "rolled damage x3" is less than "maximum normal damage" you could just raise it to that amount.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
[*]At touch on exterior: Damage is ×1. Use this for direct hits in combat.[*]Tamped or shaped on exterior (High-Tech, pp. 182-183): Halves explosive weight needed. Effectively, damage is ×1.4. Use this for most demolition.[*]Fully contained on exterior (p. B415): Maximum damage. Effectively, damage is ×1.7. Use this for demolition where explosive is in gap or applied over full surface of object.[*]Internal (p. B415): Wounding, and effectively damage, is ×3. Use this for explosive bullets in flesh, cyberpunk brain-bombs, etc.[/list]
It occurred to me to wonder about targets with No Vitals. That does away with the x3, but if the target is Homogenous or at least mostly solid does that drop you back to Tamped?

That's how it works with setting off explosions in a hole in solid stone. Stone golems would presumably use the same rule.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #17
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
Diffuse takes normal injury from explosions - x3 wound mod applies.
(unless I'm wrong:))
I don't think that'd be right. Diffuse entities aren't all that definite about 'inside' vs. 'outside', I can't really see moving an explosion's point of origin from one to the other making much difference.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #18
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post

It occurred to me to wonder about targets with No Vitals. That does away with the x3, but if the target is Homogenous or at least mostly solid does that drop you back to Tamped?
I would say that it must, yes. As you say, that's what drilling holes in something inanimate gets you, so it would logically apply to stuff with No Vitals. I've updated my original post, since I have the feeling it'll make a FAQ somewhere.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #19
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I don't think that'd be right. Diffuse entities aren't all that definite about 'inside' vs. 'outside', I can't really see moving an explosion's point of origin from one to the other making much difference.
Well, clearly, placing a bomb inside a tree is going to do more damage to the tree than placing it outside the tree. On the other hand, the internal explosion modifier explicitly states that this has to do with striking the vitals, and a diffuse being (like a tree) wouldn't have vitals.

So do we use the contained explosion or what? And does this apply to anything without vitals as well?

EDIT: Scooped
Old 07-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #20
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Well, clearly, placing a bomb inside a tree is going to do more damage to the tree than placing it outside the tree. On the other hand, the internal explosion modifier explicitly states that this has to do with striking the vitals, and a diffuse being (like a tree) wouldn't have vitals.

So do we use the contained explosion or what? And does this apply to anything without vitals as well?

EDIT: Scooped
Uh, Diffuse and "like a tree" don't go together. Are you thinking of Homogeneous? Diffuse is like a swarm, or a cloud.