Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Different Gyroc Designs

While gyrocs sound cool, their performance in Ultratech leaves something to be desired. Weapons that use gyroc ammunition should be lighter and cheaper than conventional weapons, as they do not have to contain the stress of the detonation that accelerates conventional ammunition, and they should have a lower ST requirement and a lower recoil, since the user does not have to absorb the impulse from the detonation of conventional ammunition. In essence, they should probably have half the unloaded weight and base cost, with -2 to minimum ST and -2 to Rcl (minimum Rcl 1).

When it comes to ammunition though, pistols and SMGs should probably not be gyrocs (pistol and SMG rounds are just too short to justify the rocket engines), meaning that only longarms should be gyrocs. They should not have rifling, as spin is a negative for rockets, and should instead depend on a flat trajectory (no real change in Acc, just an explanation of the differences).

15mm should probably be the minimum size, and 18.5mm and 25mm should also be available. Ammunition costs should probably by 8× for 15mm, 4x for 18.5mm, and 2× for 25mm to represent the expense of miniaturization. Viper rounds are +300% the base gyroc cost.

1/2D range would represent rocket speed. The rockets would use solid fuel to accelerate quickly and then use small fins to maintain their trajectory to Max range. In essence, the base damage represents the bullet slamming into the target.

With these changes, gyrocs become an acceptable alternative to conventional weapons. The weapons are cheaper and lighter, though the ammunition is much more expensive. What do you think?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
Donny Brook

Default Re: Different Gyroc Designs

I could have sworn there was another thread about this just yesterday.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I could have sworn there was another thread about this just yesterday.
There is, here.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

The difference is that this thread is about converting conventional guns into effective gyros rather than getting too focused on the details.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
While gyrocs sound cool, their performance in Ultratech leaves something to be desired. Weapons that use gyroc ammunition should be lighter and cheaper than conventional weapons, as they do not have to contain the stress of the detonation that accelerates conventional ammunition, and they should have a lower ST requirement and a lower recoil, since the user does not have to absorb the impulse from the detonation of conventional ammunition. In essence, they should probably have half the unloaded weight and base cost, with -2 to minimum ST and -2 to Rcl (minimum Rcl 1).
As I understand it, the rocket is an inherently destabilizing aspect of the round. Collapsible fins (which may be standard on any gyroc) probably help, but they should still have reduced Acc. Half weight may be appropriate (they can probably be made lighter still), and ST is probably more related to how well the character can support the weapon system, rather than how well he/she can absorb the recoil (as gyrocs are nearly recoilless). Gyroc weapons are probably lower cost than conventional weapons, but their bullets will weigh and cost more and are probably bulkier than conventional, so reduced Shots is likely appropriate. Making a gyroc into a homing or guided munition should probably cost less than doing the same to a normal bullet, but that's optional.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
The difference is that this thread is about converting conventional guns into effective gyros rather than getting too focused on the details.
This comes under the category of 'why would you want to do this?'. That's the basic problem with gyrocs anyway; you shouldn't be trying to use rockets to do a job that conventional munitions does just fine, you should be using rockets to do a job that rockets are good at.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:

When it comes to ammunition though, pistols and SMGs should probably not be gyrocs (pistol and SMG rounds are just too short to justify the rocket engines),
I've never assumed that gyroc rounds are loaded in magazines through the pistol grip. Based both on the size of gyrocs and the way they don't need barrels I've always assumed that they used other arrangements.

The Holdout Gyroc would appear to be simple break open single shot like the flare gun it can be used as (among many other things). The four shot Gyroc Pistol may be nothign more than a slightly larger version of that. Note that both of these are noted as reloading with the (3i) notation indicating that these is no magazine invovled, only loose rounds.

Starting with the six round Launch Pistol the reloading notation becomes (3) indicating a detachable magazine of some kind. I'd put that magazine in front of the trigger like a Mauser C96 but with no barrel. Larger versions jsut add a shoulder stock. Only with the LSW version with a 30 round magazine does this become probably untenable. I'd not really sure what one of those looks like.

If you wiodner I assume a 15mm diameter but at least a 60mm length giving it a shape like a supersonic rifle bullet. Another reason the pistol grip can not serve as a magazine well.

But of course there is no rifling in the barrel because there is no need for a barrel.

I'd bite the bullet (no pun intended) and skip the fold-out fins and go straight to a miniturized set of reaction control jets. This would make the rounds usable in vacuum and I suspect it might be easier to fit in the small rockets.

I definitely assume reaction control jets in the 64mm and 100mm missiles.

I might do away with unguided versions altogether.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #8
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I'd bite the bullet (no pun intended) and skip the fold-out fins and go straight to a miniturized set of reaction control jets. This would make the rounds usable in vacuum and I suspect it might be easier to fit in the small rockets.
The "gyre" part of gyroc suggests the rockets spin, so spin stabilization of some kind is etymologically indicated.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:20 PM   #9
Jack Sawyer

The original gyrojet was smoothbore and relied on the direction of the vented ports to provide spin. I suppose if you rifled the barrel you could do away with the vented ports (although if you have 'sufficiently advanced' technology the engineering challenges would probably be trivial.)

3rd edition Warhammer 40,000 core rules actually listed bolters (another supposed 'gyrojet' knockoff from the 80s) having rifled barrels lol.
Jack Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
The "gyre" part of gyroc suggests the rockets spin, so spin stabilization of some kind is etymologically indicated.

Luke
The fluff text in UT explicitly says that "Gyrcs" may not use spin stabilization though it suggests a Transhuman Space-ish michromechanical guidance system instead.