Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2004, 03:50 AM   #1
errant42
 
errant42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Paladin in 4e (was: Aura Traits)

In trying to model a high fantasy (D&D-ish) setting, I am coming up against the issue of radiated traits, i.e. traits that all characters (or all undead, or all allies, etc) within a certain distance will benefit from. How do I model this in 4e? I'm inclined to look to Area Effect, but the description only addresses attacks. Affliction doesn't seem quite right, as it requires an active use.

For example, would this work for a Paladin's aura of courage (all allies within 10 feet gain a bonus to resisting fear)?

Fearlessness (Area Effect 4 yds, +100%; Selectable Area +20%)

If so, would this?

Unluckiness (Area Effect 4 yds, +100%; Selectable Area +20%)

If not, what would?

Last edited by errant42; 10-22-2004 at 01:15 PM. Reason: expanded topic
errant42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 07:00 AM   #2
vitruvian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Aura Traits in 4e

Add Emanation to have it always centered around the character, and then there's some kind of persistence enhancement.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor
 
Kromm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montréal, Québec
Default Re: Aura Traits in 4e

You want Affliction with the Advantage enhancement and Area Effect, Selective Area (I hope!), and Sense-Based (your allies' DR doesn't stop the Affliction, btu they must see you or hear your encouraging words), plus Always On (at -10%, since the effects are mostly going to be "annoys your enemies") and Emanation (to tack your area of effect to your person).
__________________
Sean "Dr. Kromm" Punch <kromm@sjgames.com>
GURPS Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games
My LiveJournal [Just GURPS News][Just The Company]
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:46 PM   #4
cccwebs
 
cccwebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Orange County, VA
Default Re: Aura Traits in 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
You want Affliction with the Advantage enhancement and Area Effect, Selective Area (I hope!), and Sense-Based (your allies' DR doesn't stop the Affliction, btu they must see you or hear your encouraging words), plus Always On (at -10%, since the effects are mostly going to be "annoys your enemies") and Emanation (to tack your area of effect to your person).
But what about the resistance roll. Can a victim just choose not to resist an affliction ( I know you can with the Malediction enchancment)? If not, then you'd have a lot of healthy people not benefiting from the Aura.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:50 PM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor
 
Kromm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montréal, Québec
Default Re: Aura Traits in 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs
But what about the resistance roll. Can a victim just choose not to resist an affliction ( I know you can with the Malediction enchancment)? If not, then you'd have a lot of healthy people not benefiting from the Aura.
Reverse the HT roll for beneficial Afflictions; Powers will make it official. So if it would normally be a HT roll to resist, it's instead a HT roll to benefit. Use Based on (Other Attribute) if you'd prefer an IQ roll.
__________________
Sean "Dr. Kromm" Punch <kromm@sjgames.com>
GURPS Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games
My LiveJournal [Just GURPS News][Just The Company]
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
lawman
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Aura Traits in 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Reverse the HT roll for beneficial Afflictions; Powers will make it official. So if it would normally be a HT roll to resist, it's instead a HT roll to benefit. Use Based on (Other Attribute) if you'd prefer an IQ roll.
Does that mean it would be how much you succeed by, instead of how much you fail by, etc. Thus, a high HT (or other attribute) character benefits instead of being penalized for a good HT roll?
__________________
LAWMAN

--You could have a rule for everything, but then you'd have a rule for everything.
lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:54 PM   #7
cccwebs
 
cccwebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Orange County, VA
Default Re: Aura Traits in 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Reverse the HT roll for beneficial Afflictions; Powers will make it official. So if it would normally be a HT roll to resist, it's instead a HT roll to benefit. Use Based on (Other Attribute) if you'd prefer an IQ roll.
OK, now I'm confused. Do you mean if they fail the HT roll with a beneficial Affliction then they are NOT affected? The next question would be then do we use the margin of sucess to determine the duration of the affliction and also if we don't want them to fail the HT roll then we want them to allow the DR to provide the bonus (unless we are talking about reversing that to make the DR into a penalty to the HT roll)?
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:15 PM   #8
errant42
 
errant42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Aura Traits in 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
You want Affliction with the Advantage enhancement and Area Effect, Selective Area (I hope!), and Sense-Based (your allies' DR doesn't stop the Affliction, btu they must see you or hear your encouraging words), plus Always On (at -10%, since the effects are mostly going to be "annoys your enemies") and Emanation (to tack your area of effect to your person).
Wow ... Affliction does pretty much anything, huh. Thanks for the input. So the Aura of Courage would look like this:

Aura of Courage [45] (Affliction 1: Fearlessness +3 (+60%), Area Effect: 4 yd (+100%), Selective Area: Allies only (+20%), Sense-Based: Vision/Hearing (+200%), Always On (-10%), Emanation (-20%); Total mods: +350%)

And an offensive version would just replace the advantage with a disadvantage or attribute penalty. What about giving attribute or skill bonuses to nearby allies? Would I just use the Attribute Penalty rules in reverse?

Also (only tangentially related): what about Smite Evil, i.e. a melee weapon attack that inflicts extra damage on an "evil" (i.e. malevolent supernatural) creature?

Smite Evil [2] (Innate Attack: Burning 2d (5/lvl), Follow-Up (Melee attack, +0%), Accessibility (Only Demons, Undead, etc, -30%), Limited Use (2/day, -30%), Melee Attack (C or 1, -20%); Total mods: -80%)
errant42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #9
vitruvian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Aura Traits in 4e

Quote:
Smite Evil [2] (Innate Attack: Burning 2d (5/lvl), Follow-Up (Melee attack, +0%), Accessibility (Only Demons, Undead, etc, -30%), Limited Use (2/day, -30%), Melee Attack (C or 1, -20%); Total mods: -80%)
I don't think you can have both Follow-up and Melee Attack. Furthermore, Follow-up means that if the target's DR stops the initial attack cold, the smite doesn't take effect.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:59 PM   #10
errant42
 
errant42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Aura Traits in 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
I don't think you can have both Follow-up and Melee Attack. Furthermore, Follow-up means that if the target's DR stops the initial attack cold, the smite doesn't take effect.
Yeah, those were my concerns ... so how do I tie an Innate Attack to a melee weapon attack?
errant42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
always on

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.