Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2020, 12:56 PM   #11
dcarson

Default Re: It's TL8. What is my ogre bodyguard packing?

Hand and foot grips on the back of his armor so you can hide behind him could be useful.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #12
Inky

Quote:
Definitely not the most efficient, but I played in an urban fantasy where an ogre mafia muscle used the Jaws of Life as a weapon. Floored someone, stood on their chest and slowly used it. Definitely left an impression.

Uck! Not a bad idea, actually, all morality aside. If ogres aren't commonplace in your setting, or perhaps even if they are, having a weapon that relies on brute strength kind of underlines the point that your bodyguard is a flippin' ogre. Make the most of the intimidation factor and there's that much less chance of there even being a fight. Any little pixie can fire at least some sort of a gun, but this takes someone very big and very scary.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #13
Inky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Hand and foot grips on the back of his armor so you can hide behind him could be useful.
I love it!
Old 05-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #14
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I saw a human shoot a 2G rifle, so I bet he could. But what's the advantage? Apart from intimidation factor, that would be hilarious overkill.

Edit: The rifle I saw weighed 44 lbs. Now, that's a lot, but a ST 20 ogre has a Basic Lift of 80 lbs. Shooting a rifle that's half your Basic Lift is perfectly doable.
I don't know about a 2G rifle - last one of those I heard of was called "Baby" and was an elephant gun belonging to … either Livingstone or Stanley IIRC … but a big advantage to high powered rounds is that cover rapidly ceases to exist for the enemy. If you can get up to 50BMG, most of the things people like to hide behind become soft cover rather than hard. I could well see a 50BMG rifle handling for an ogre like a 7.62 NATO one does for a human. Also, as above, if other people send ogre hitmen after you, you'll want your boy to be carrying something that can penetrate their custom armour and take them down.
Also, if we have ogres, what else is out there?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #15
copeab

An ogre should be able to shoulder-fire a 12.7mm rifle without difficulty and possibly 14.5mm rifles. Bolt-action or semiautomatic anti-material rifles are in play.

A very large axe is also useful.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:34 PM   #16
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
An ogre should be able to shoulder-fire a 12.7mm rifle without difficulty and possibly 14.5mm rifles. Bolt-action or semiautomatic anti-material rifles are in play.

Put s pick on the back side and he'll be a one-blow engine block killer.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:13 PM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
However, you probably have to list it on your website as a "Tactical Forced Entry Tool" and of course you have to paint it black.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #18
Ashtagon

It's true: ogres can carry bigger guns than humans.

However, he's been hired as a bodyguard, not a super-soldier. More specifically, he's been hired as a bodyguard with intimidation power (if you wanted a bodyguard who isn't obviously a bodyguard, you'd have hired a human).

He's also a guard, not a commando; no need for forced entry equipment, unless it really won't be encumbering. Any place you need to force entry into has a good chance of being a dead-end, which is not some place you want your guard taking you into.

So, forget the longarms, sniper rifles, and bazookoids. If your bodyguard is doing property damage, or is obviously incapable of defending you without doing property damage, or worse, including you in collateral damage, he's ineffective in his role.

My ogre bodyguard would be heavily armoured, and trained to know how to place himself between me and incoming fire, using his armour to protect both of us. He'd also have a pair of heavy pistols, and probably carry a spare of a more ordinary size to hand to me in a pinch. His helmet with contain a top-end sensor suite. Finally, he'd carry a riot shield strapped to his back, ready for use.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #19
Dalillama

If your status and/or local mores allow it, he might also be visibly carrying a truncheon of some kind, and an ogre-sized billy club is something the rest of us would call a good-sized mace.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #20
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
It's true: ogres can carry bigger guns than humans.

However, he's been hired as a bodyguard, not a super-soldier. More specifically, he's been hired as a bodyguard with intimidation power (if you wanted a bodyguard who isn't obviously a bodyguard, you'd have hired a human).
And by not carrying a really big gun he has the unencumbered load to carry things like first aid kit that covers everything, smoke grenades, sat phone in case cell service is out, fire extinguisher, and other things to keep his boss alive. Bribe money, cash, gold and shines.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote