Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
enfolder

Default Equipped one-shots and every flavor beans

In Harry Potter Munchkin, "Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans" are making me doubt that I understand how to use one-shots.

The card says you get a +1 for each "type" of Item you have "equipped," up to +5. This makes sense because there are five types of items: headgear, armor, footgear, hand items, and one-shots.

Does this mean it is possible for a one-shot item to be "equipped"? What does that mean?

We have decided it means that one shot items must be equipped to be used ("Items that are currently giving you a bonus or some other benefit are 'equipped'" says the rules.). In our interpretation, if you want to play a one-shot item you have to have it in on the table, equipped, before you use it.

In other words, we've decided that one shot items are just like any other kind of item, except that you can equip as many as you like and they are discarded after their effect is resolved. This feels like a very clean rule, consistent with the rest of the game.

Now, the rules state that one-shots can be used "from your hand or from the table" but we have decided this is just describing the two cases of one-shot "instants" (which can only be played from your hand because they are not items) and one-shot items (which can only be played from the table, we've decided).

This seems to square the rules with the card, but I have my doubts. Maybe the +5 limit for the beans is indicating that I don't know what a "type" of item is?

Are two-handed items (carried with a Cheat! perhaps) a separate "type" of item?

Are other kinds of items from other decks (Singing and Dancing Sword, for instance) a sixth "kind" of item?

Finally, the question of whether one-shot items can be equipped is important because lots of cards affect or are affected only by equipped items, and if one-shots count then that really changes their effects (Nigini, for instance, gets a lot stronger if all your one shots with S's give her a bonus!)
Old 05-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
Fufu

Default Re: Equipped one-shots and every flavor beans

The five types of equip Items in Munchkin Harry Potter Deluxe would be: 1-Hand, 2-Hand, Armor, Footgear, and Headgear.

"One-Shot" Items cannot be equipped.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:52 AM   #3
enfolder

OK, that makes sense. Some questions:

Can one-shot items be played from your hand? (The rules seem to imply they can but this seems inconsistent with them being "items")

Can one-shot non-items (like Go Up A Level) be played from the table? (I presume not—you cannot "carry" things that are not items)

Are other kinds of items like the Singing and Dancing Sword a sixth kind of item? (Not relevant for HP Munchkin but maybe for blended decks).
Old 05-19-2020, 10:34 AM   #4
Fufu

"One-Shot" cards can be used from In Play or Your Hand

"Go Up a Level" (GUAL) cards are not Items, because GUAL cards do not have Gold Piece value. Therefore, unfortunately GUAL cards cannot be Carried.

"Singing and Dancing Sword" is an equipped 0-Hand Item; therefore, these types of cards are considered special Items that are equipped, yet do not occupy an equipped spot/slot. Thus, as for using the "Singing and Dancing Sword" + the "Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans" card in a blended game, I would hypothesize a special Items card In Play with a Gold Piece value would be considered fair play.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

This question is going to require research on my part that I do not currently have time to do. I'm closing the thread for now until I can provide accurate and complete answers.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Closed Thread

Tags
harry potter, one shot items