Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2020, 02:15 PM   #41
DemiBenson

Default Re: It's TL8. What is my ogre bodyguard packing?

A fancy walking stick. No, really.
To handle an ogre’s weight, it would have to be very sturdy, and it would be long enough to pose a serious threat to people in mêlée range. Not only could an ogre hold off a crowd with a 5-foot knobbed club, but it could be used as a long stick for touching dubious buttons, packages, bodies, etc.
And who is going to take away someone’s walking stick? Just ask Peter Mayhew
Old 05-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #42
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiBenson View Post
Good one! Held crosswise it would even make a good crowd control barrier in something like a corridor or doorway. ST20 would power quite the cross-check against even multiple opponents.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:29 PM   #43
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
The Benelli is a puny 12G.
The Browning Gold I recommended above is a 10G.
But a ST 20 character cannot effectively duel-wield the 10G. A proper walking stick for ogre could probably hide a shotgun, by the way.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #44
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
But a ST 20 character cannot effectively duel-wield the 10G.
Wow, what a wimp. In his line of work he should bulk up. :D
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:03 AM   #45
AlexanderHowl

Well, ST 22 is probably not unreasonable for an ogre, so dual-wielding two 10G shotguns might be possible (with folding stocks). I would also have a few hatchets (4d+1 cutting) for melee combat. Of course, Brawling at DX+2 would deal 2d+1 crushing damage with punches, so it would do in a pinch.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:35 AM   #46
Ashtagon

What exactly is the benefit of dual-wielding? It looks impressive, and will intimidate low-level grunts who don't understand that it makes you significantly less accurate. But if I've hired a bodyguard, I can expect that realistic danger is professional kidnappers/assassins will come at me. They won't be put off by dual-wielded shotguns.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:30 AM   #47
AlexanderHowl

Pretty much the intimidation factor. With IQ 7 and -7 to reaction rolls, ogres can only relate socially with humans through using Intimidation (where their negatives become positives). Of course, having bodyguards with a reputation for eating people may be problematic. It might be better to have a more civilized variant for a TL8 society, as humans would have likely committed genocide against the people eating variant long before humans became civilized enough to care about genocide. An example would be the following:

Civilized Ogre [100]

Attributes: ST+10 (Size, -10%) [90]; IQ-2 [-40]; HT+2 [20]

Secondary Characteristics: SM+1; Will+4 [20]

Advantages: DR 2 (Tough Skin, -40%) [6]; Fearsome Stare [1]; Fit [5]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Magical Resistance 2 [4]; Night Vision 5 [5]

Disadvantage: Appearance (Hideaous) [-16]; Callous [-5]; Chummy [-5]

Quirks: Third Person [-1]

Skills: Brawling (E) DX+2 [4]; Intimidation (A) Will+6 [2]

Civilized ogres are the products of 1,000 years of severe evolutionary pressures due to human genocidal behavior against their species. Ogres who were smarter and less likely to eat their neighbors usually ended up surviving long enough to reproduce because their strength was useful to human overlords, which produced significant changes to the physiology and psychology of subsequent generations of ogres. It also helped that they were exceptionally intimidating which, combined with their great strength, made them ideal enforcers and soldiers.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 05-27-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:00 AM   #48
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiBenson View Post
To handle an ogre’s weight, it would have to be very sturdy, and it would be long enough to pose a serious threat to people in mêlée range. Not only could an ogre hold off a crowd with a 5-foot knobbed club, but it could be used as a long stick for touching dubious buttons, packages, bodies, etc.
And who is going to take away someone’s walking stick? Just ask Peter Mayhew
A ceremonial mace - especially if you have pretensions to nobility or civil office. Gives him an excuse to carry a staff with a dirty great weight on one or both ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
What exactly is the benefit of dual-wielding? It looks impressive, and will intimidate low-level grunts who don't understand that it makes you significantly less accurate. But if I've hired a bodyguard, I can expect that realistic danger is professional kidnappers/assassins will come at me. They won't be put off by dual-wielded shotguns.
Dual wielding simply means having two weapons you're not aiming, instead of one.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #49
Daigoro

Quote:
What exactly is the benefit of dual-wielding?
Maybe the ogre is Chao Yun Fat.

Or maybe he's this guy.

Quote:
But if I've hired a bodyguard, I can expect that realistic danger is professional kidnappers/assassins will come at me. They won't be put off by dual-wielded shotguns.
Actually, I think you'd be hiring a professional security team covering various roles if professional criminals are the concern. An ogre bodyguard is more for appearances and opportunistic attacks.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!

Last edited by Daigoro; 05-27-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Daigoro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #50
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Maybe the ogre is Chao Yun Fat.

Or maybe he's this guy.
And before anyone asks, the famous bodyguard "Two gun" Cohen was so named because he carried a backup gun - which was apparently unusual enough to merit a nickname - not because he dual-wielded.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote