Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2020, 02:57 PM   #1631
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
If you stockpile tarps and umbrellas the weather will probably hold. Don't want it to rain? Carry an umbrella. @:-)
Legit. Putting this into effect immediately.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #1632
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Fyi, someone in the Space Opera thread mentioned you might be doing a GURPS space opera project?
Old 05-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #1633
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Fyi, someone in the Space Opera thread mentioned you might be doing a GURPS space opera project?
I wouldn't call it Space Opera; more like Space Action.

Here's what I said on my blog:

Mission X (2021)

If you were at virtual FnordCon 2 and attended the GURPS panel discussion, you may have heard the wonderful news (for me, anyway!) that SJG has agreed to allow me to create a stand-alone RPG using the GURPS core. It is technically a “Powered by GURPS” product much like the Dungeon Fantasy RPG.

Tentatively titled “Mission X,” though it may change by the time it launches, it will be a modern-day action-oriented game featuring a party of trained operatives heading off into the great beyond to obtain technology and intelligence from a hostile universe. If you read my writeups and notes from my Alien Menace campaign (short-lived due to the arrival of my second daughter), you can see that it grabbed concepts and missions from diverse sources, but featured modern weapons, gear, and tactics plus a “kill aliens and take their stuff” theme to help it feel like “the Dungeon Fantasy RPG in space.”

Mission X is going to be more than that, though. I’m envisioning a setup that allows a GM to run modern day Special Ops or SWAT missions, super-spies, and other genres that involve guns. Lots of guns.

My vision for the series is evolving, but I want a faster “on-ramp” for new players, but I also want folks to look and see my imprint on the game, as I finally get some real ballistics in the Gaming Ballistic product portfolio!

Stay tuned. I have to get through quite a bit before I really turn my mind to this, and until I have my own outline for what needs doing, announcing titles or contents of books is premature. Even so: there are several worked-example books already to give the overall ‘what does this need to look like?’ feel. The Dungeon Fantasy RPG obviously; the Dungeon Fantasy GURPS series, Action (the gift that keeps on giving; read my reviews here), Monster Hunters, and After the End all provide a structure that I would be remiss to ignore.

But there are also things I’ve written for Pyramid that are very on point, and other things written by Sean that are even more so. My mandate to borrow is pretty wide, but not all-inclusive. I can’t hardly wait to get started on it, but first things’ first.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #1634
Kale

That's great news! I'll be watching your progress with great interest...
Old 05-26-2020, 10:59 PM   #1635
apoc527

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post

Mission X (2021)

If you were at virtual FnordCon 2 and attended the GURPS panel discussion, you may have heard the wonderful news (for me, anyway!) that SJG has agreed to allow me to create a stand-alone RPG using the GURPS core. It is technically a “Powered by GURPS” product much like the Dungeon Fantasy RPG.

Tentatively titled “Mission X,” though it may change by the time it launches, it will be a modern-day action-oriented game featuring a party of trained operatives heading off into the great beyond to obtain technology and intelligence from a hostile universe. If you read my writeups and notes from my Alien Menace campaign (short-lived due to the arrival of my second daughter), you can see that it grabbed concepts and missions from diverse sources, but featured modern weapons, gear, and tactics plus a “kill aliens and take their stuff” theme to help it feel like “the Dungeon Fantasy RPG in space.”

Mission X is going to be more than that, though. I’m envisioning a setup that allows a GM to run modern day Special Ops or SWAT missions, super-spies, and other genres that involve guns. Lots of guns.

My vision for the series is evolving, but I want a faster “on-ramp” for new players, but I also want folks to look and see my imprint on the game, as I finally get some real ballistics in the Gaming Ballistic product portfolio!

Stay tuned. I have to get through quite a bit before I really turn my mind to this, and until I have my own outline for what needs doing, announcing titles or contents of books is premature. Even so: there are several worked-example books already to give the overall ‘what does this need to look like?’ feel. The Dungeon Fantasy RPG obviously; the Dungeon Fantasy GURPS series, Action (the gift that keeps on giving; read my reviews here), Monster Hunters, and After the End all provide a structure that I would be remiss to ignore.

But there are also things I’ve written for Pyramid that are very on point, and other things written by Sean that are even more so. My mandate to borrow is pretty wide, but not all-inclusive. I can’t hardly wait to get started on it, but first things’ first.
Excuse me while I go and ensure that I haven't died recently and have ended up in Heaven...

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:39 AM   #1636
A Ladder

Quote:

Mission X (2021)

Hell yes! I love Action and I love running modern games with guns. I am very excited about this news.
Quote:
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #1637
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I start from TSR's Star*Drive setting (Alternity system, given the d20 Modern update). Then add in some Star Wars (mostly the Force, lightsabers, some droids, some starfighter models, and a few starship ideas), Star Trek (a few alien species -- especially the Trill -- some tech, a few starships), Battle Tech (a few stellar nations, mechs used as inspiration for heavy battle suits), and so on.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #1638
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
Hell yes! I love Action and I love running modern games with guns. I am very excited about this news.
My sub-text pitch to SJG included "I think it's time for Gaming Ballistic to have some actual ballistics in its portfolio."

They agreed.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #1639
apoc527

Quote:
My sub-text pitch to SJG included "I think it's time for Gaming Ballistic to have some actual ballistics in its portfolio."

They agreed.
HOW LONG have I been saying this?!?! FINALLY! Woo hoo!!

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:42 AM   #1640
Daigoro

Quote:

They agreed.
Are ray guns ballistic? [/pedant]

Oops, got hung up on the space action part, missed the modern day operatives part.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, blogs, committed aim, dungeon grappling, modern firepower, pass limb