Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-17-2016, 06:38 AM   #41
Celti

Default Re: [Sorcery] Post Your Spells Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
Shouldn't Can Carry Objects be a modifier on Shadow Form, not on the affliction?
I did actually explain exactly that and why I did it in the note just after the point cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Statistics: Affliction (Will; Based on WL, +20%; Cosmic, Can only be dispelled by Remove Curse, +50%; Can Carry Objects, Extra-Heavy, +150%; Disadvantage, Shadow Form, Reflection, Light Insensitive, +20%; Extended Duration, Permanent, +150%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Malediction 2, +150%; Requires reflective surface, -10%; Sorcery, -15%) [62]. Can Carry Objects is applied to Affliction instead of Shadow Form in the interests of fair costs (it arguably should not be cheaper to curse the victim and their equipment instead of just the victim.
Emphasis added.

To explain in somewhat more detail: this is afflicting the disadvantageous version of Shadow Form, which turns Can Carry Objects into a limitation on it, making it cost less — while I feel it should not cost less to take both the victim and their equipment out of the game!
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #42
gudmo

As a general rule

Can any "spell" since these are powers really, be created with an area effect.

By this I mean Greater Healing, major Healing, Dispel Possession, Dark Vision etc.
gudmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #43
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudmo View Post
As a general rule

Can any "spell" since these are powers really, be created with an area effect.

By this I mean Greater Healing, major Healing, Dispel Possession, Dark Vision etc.
If the underlying advantage is one that could take the Area Effect modifier, and the GM thinks it would be reasonable to allow a "mass" or "area" version of the spell in their game, then yes. Remember that the normal rules for Area Effect on whichever advantage will still apply - for example, if you put it on Healing, the FP cost increases to equal the radius, multiplied by how much you want to heal. So healing an 8-yard radius could get quite expensive.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #44
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
To explain in somewhat more detail: this is afflicting the disadvantageous version of Shadow Form, which turns Can Carry Objects into a limitation on it, making it cost less — while I feel it should not cost less to take both the victim and their equipment out of the game!
I am not sure that this makes sense in this case. If it didn't have Can Carry Objects, their stuff wouldn't be trapped and you could steal it, which would in most cases be preferable.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #45
gudmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
If the underlying advantage is one that could take the Area Effect modifier, and the GM thinks it would be reasonable to allow a "mass" or "area" version of the spell in their game, then yes. Remember that the normal rules for Area Effect on whichever advantage will still apply - for example, if you put it on Healing, the FP cost increases to equal the radius, multiplied by how much you want to heal. So healing an 8-yard radius could get quite expensive.
Actually Sorcery rules state that no sorcery spell should have a cost of more than 1, 2 in extreme cases. Even if it is an area spell.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #46
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Actually Sorcery rules state that no sorcery spell should have a cost of more than 1, 2 in extreme cases. Even if it is an area spell.
Healing is specifically called out as one reason a spell could cost more than 1 FP. Sorcery, p. 17, "High Fatigue Spells": "...a spell could cost more than 1 FP – ... because it’s built using a fatigue-hungry advantage (like Healing)..." (Emphasis mine). In any case, the guidelines for building spells in Sorcery are just that - guidelines. They don't trump the regular rules for building advantages. They certainly don't give you a much more powerful ability, like healing a big area, for free! If you want to follow the suggestions in Sorcery that a spell shouldn't cost more than 1 or 2 FP, and you want to build a mass healing spell, you're going to have to pay for that, by putting the Reduced Fatigue Cost enhancement on the advantage. (And quite a lot of it - remember that Reduced Fatigue Cost only applies to the final FP cost of an advantage. So you need to figure the base cost of (Radius), multiply for the number of HP to be healed, and then reduce that by the number of levels of Reduced Fatigue Cost.)
Old 11-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #47
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Putting Selective on Area Effect Healing is good idea anyway.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #48
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Putting Selective on Area Effect Healing is good idea anyway.
True. Also, while I haven't thought on this extensively, I'd probably be inclined to say that, if you have Selective and Area Effect on something like Healing, you can choose, when you build the power, if you want to pay any FP cost on a per-person rather than per-area basis. So, for example, with Healing, you could choose to affect 5 people, healing them for 2 HP each, and pay only 5 HP. The Area Effect would then define just how widely-spread the targets could be. I think this is reasonably balanced - it trades off the ability to heal a very large number of people for a flat FP cost, in exchange for allowing you to only spend as much as you need, basically, when there's a smaller number of people to heal.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #49
gudmo

I'd say that for Healing yes, extra FP cost for area effect.

But for buffing? Dark Vision 2 yards for the group before we walk into a dungeon....
Old 11-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #50
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:

But for buffing? Dark Vision 2 yards for the group before we walk into a dungeon....
The rules for Area Effect are pretty clear - if you have an FP cost on the advantage, you've got to multiply that by the radius of the area. Fortunately for buffs like this, there's no multiplication required for the effect, unlike Healing. So a 2-yard radius effect only costs you 2 FP. If you want to take that down to one FP, just put one level of Reduced Fatigue Cost on it.

Tags
magic, magic as powers, powers, sorcery