Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-19-2018, 03:11 AM   #1
Alonsua
Banned

Default Rolls for players looking to fund a new major religion

It's pretty self explanatory: What expenditures, skills and rolls would you require a player to do in order to achieve this kind of titanic feat?
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:13 AM   #2
Daigoro

Default Re: Rolls for players looking to fund a new major religion

You might need to sketch out a few things such as what world, genre, setting and culture you're looking at.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:34 AM   #3
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
You might need to sketch out a few things such as what world, genre, setting and culture you're looking at.
Realistic Earth in any culture. I think that the book already points out penalties for cultural differences.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
talonthehand

Fund or Found?

If you're looking to fund a new religion....any of the normal money-related skills.

If you're looking to found a new religion....tricky. You say Realistic Earth - is this modern day Earth, or can you go back a few thousand years? Also, how do you define major? Does it need to have as many followers as Christianity/Islam/Hinduism? Be as historically significant as Judaism? Have as much media behind it as Scientology?

Last edited by talonthehand; 06-19-2018 at 08:26 AM.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

And how "new" is it? Most new religions are splinters off of existing ones, or syncretic creations. Being similar to an existing religion makes it easier to get new converts, but it also diminishes what you can do with it. There is also a weird curve where as you get more and more different from your base religion(s) you go from a weird ally to a controversial member of the movement to a major threat to a minor threat to irrelevant.

Another factor to take into consideration is timing and cultural landscape. Now, you can attribute getting the correct timing to Deity (and many do), but you've got to get the timing on a successful new religion right. You've got to have large portions of people looking for a solution to existing religious and philosophical problems, and you've got to an acceptable answer.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Realistic Earth in any culture. I think that the book already points out penalties for cultural differences.
Ok, but what TL and era are we talking about as well? There's a difference between Stone Age shamanic religions and Transhuman Space memetic cults.

And which book do you mean? I think at least Infinite Worlds and Social Engineering cover this.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Another factor to take into consideration is timing and cultural landscape. Now, you can attribute getting the correct timing to Deity (and many do), but you've got to get the timing on a successful new religion right. You've got to have large portions of people looking for a solution to existing religious and philosophical problems, and you've got to an acceptable answer.
This gets at the key problem here - the factors that allow something to become a major religion are essentially not under the control of the founder. That is there *are* no traits that will allow you to do this. There are traits appropriate for founding a minor cult, but it becoming a major religion is not under your control.

And in fact I think the number of people who have successfully founded a major religion approaches zero. With the possible exception of Muhammad I think all the founders of anything that even approaches major are dead for decades before their faiths could have been so characterized, and even he's dead before anybody outside Arabia, not exactly an important world power, considers Islam very significant. Some "reformers" have managed a little better, but even there its not so common. Movements take time to build to major, and once they start to do so they'll probably have escaped control of the founder anyway.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
TAnd in fact I think the number of people who have successfully founded a major religion approaches zero. With the possible exception of Muhammad I think all the founders of anything that even approaches major are dead for decades before their faiths could have been so characterized, and even he's dead before anybody outside Arabia, not exactly an important world power, considers Islam very significant. Some "reformers" have managed a little better, but even there its not so common. Movements take time to build to major, and once they start to do so they'll probably have escaped control of the founder anyway.
He that hath a Gospel
For all earth to own--
Though he etch it on the steel,
Or carve it on the stone--
Not to be misdoubted
Through the after-days--
It is His Disciple
Shall read it many ways.

It is His Disciple
(Ere Those Bones are dust )
Who shall change the Charter,
Who shall split the Trust--
Amplify distinctions,
Rationalize the Claim;
Preaching that the Master
Would have done the same.

(Rudyard Kipling, "The Disciple")

I would almost say that it's not a religion while the founder is still alive. "For he taught as one having authority, and not as the scribes" is a description, not of a religion, but of a cult, as a sociological entity.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
tanksoldier

Agree with the above.

With the exception of Muhammad and Joseph Smith I can’t think of a religious founder who was actually trying to found a new religion.

Much more often people are successful with spinoffs.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
Daigoro

I guess you also need to define "major" for the purposes of this exercise. Scientology, Aum Shinrikyo, Branch Davidians or the Raelians could all be considered "major" according to definitions of impact, popularity, wealth or infamy.