Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
enelsonmo

Default Hex Map Transparent Overlay with Mega Hexes

I was looking at all my Paizo and DnD tactical maps. They are all beautifully rendered with many different scenes (ambush in the forest, sewer delving, evil sorcerer lair, etc...) but they have squares on them. Another kickstarter idea for TfT, if this product does not already exist, is a transparent overlay with hexes and megahexes on it. I could then place this overlay on top of my tactical maps and use them for TfT (or GURPS). Maybe have multiple square sizes like 6" x 6" and 12" x 12" and a way to have this overlay "stick" to the map or "stick" to the table somehow. This could be a fun kickstarter add-on.
enelsonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: Hex Map Transparent Overlay with Mega Hexes

I like the sound of that!
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
Skarg

I love hex map transparencies! I've been using them since about 1987. Take a blank hex sheet at combat scale and find a printer (e.g. at a copy shop) that can copy/print to a transparency. Then you can draw combat scenes on blank paper, and overlay with transparent hexes, and you get an easy/cheap map of the scene that can be played on and then stored for later use. Even if they only print on 9.5 x 11" sheets, you can use clear tape to combine them for a larger map.

You can also make a sheet that draws dark hexagons around the megahexes, which you can shine light through to see a hex grid that corresponds to TFT megahex/labyrinth scale - then you can quickly map out labyrinth-scale locations onto combat scale on blank paper, and drop a hex map on top.

Of course, you can also just print TFT megahexes on paper en mass and draw on those.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
schoon

That's very clever - I'd pay for that.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #5
JLV

I think that's an excellent idea! I'd pop for at least one, myself. Since I'd probably want something big enough to cover a fairly big "battleboard" though, I'd probably pop for more than one.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #6
Jim Kane
Banned

I have a few of these which I got *years* ago from Lou Zocchi but they have out-of-print for ages. Of course they do not have the bold Megahex indication, only the hexes; however, they are excellent for putting over all manner of "real" maps; such as the topographical survey maps issued by our government's USGS (United States Geological Survey) agency for anywhere in the US - like mountain ranges, state parks, deserts, etc. - all fertile TFT adventuring ground; and the GM doesn't have to make a pen-stroke to indicate rivers, lakes, etc.

So, having an overlay with the bold megahex imprint would be very handy as well.

Great suggestion!

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:44 PM   #7
JLV

You know, this entire topic raises another point in my mind.

I'm an old analog gamer, as are many others here, it appears. But I know a lot of the younger players (and probably many of the older ones too) use game software to help them run their RPGs. I'm not familiar with the main software types, but I wonder if it would be possible to provide them with a an "overlay file" that would accomplish the same thing electronically for people who use their software.

That question probably shows my own incredible ignorance, more than anything else, but I do wonder of SJGs has given any thought to putting things like character sheets for GURPS and TFT on such software platforms, and making adventure modules available to/for them. (Heck, maybe they already do, and I'm just so completely out of the loop that I'm clueless...)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote