Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #11
Kirk

Default Re: Melee Cover Preview

Well, it's probably tough on Steve. There are modern artistic methods available now (that I'm not a fan of) that probably most artists train themselves in, and less so actual drawing with a pen(cil) and paper.

Sensibilities and market and personal choice probably come into play. What 14 year old wouldn't want a naked warrior elf woman, or maybe man, whatever, on a cover to get his attention?

But besides the cartoonish style, which just may be what SJ feels comfortable with, there *is* a noticeable lack of sexual appeal in the characters, and just to make sure, farm boots on the wizard. She is nothing if not practical! ;)

I liked the original Melee cover, single color pass, hand drawn, and the upgraded color Wizard cover, and ultimately the TFT booklets which tell a story that the viewer is actually a part of. I always imagine I'm a large troll or other creature that the PC are having to take seriously, despite being surrounded by my orcish minions.

But, you know, your long lost and recently divorced high school girlfriend bumps into you and has a bit more weight, wrinkles, and gray hair, but obviously has taken advantage of some plastic surgery, hair dye, and a tooth implant, and you realize you still care about her, cuz you're no spring chicken, either.

That's love, and we probably all still love TFT... ;)
Old 06-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #12
GlennDoren

I spent 20+ years in the computer game industry, surrounded by amazing artists. SJG has access to that same pool of amazing talent. I find it hard to believe this is the best they have access to.

This forum has been very vocal about design issues/tweaks/etc, yet we've also been accepting of this release not containing many changes--that its goal is to give TFT the production quality it deserves, and THEN we can look at more serious design additions/changes later once the game proves itself in the market.

Well, now's the time to be more honest and vocal about what doesn't seem to work with respect to the art. That's something, frankly, that can be way more easily changed and shifted without risking "breaking the game". And, in some ways, it's pretty damn important--if newbies are turned off due to poor presentation, all of this revival and work is wasted.

Let's get art direction that excites people, please! There is PLENTY of time to get it right--don't skimp on it. I'd be happy to double+ my pledge if I knew it meant AAA-quality art direction/design for the TFT line.

And if what we're seeing is super early and not representative of the final style/art, then let's be way more clear about that.

What I'm currently seeing isn't doing it. It's making me nervous :-|

Last edited by GlennDoren; 06-16-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #13
Oneiros

I know rights to the original art didn't revert to Mr. Jackson, but my strong preference would be something along the lines of the original Stine covers rather than the previews we've seen. The logos would go well with that style as well
Old 06-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #14
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
...But besides the cartoonish style, which just may be what SJ feels comfortable with...
...to the point that he may very well be running the risk of ending up *comfortably* surrounded by a warehouse full of unmovable stock - that neither the newbies nor the grognards care to relate to; nor purchase.

The harsh reality is the *risk* of catering to, and making decisions based around "trending with social sensitivities" - IF that is what we are in-fact seeing - may very well end-up being veto'd at the cash register, *all around the horn*.

Think about that.

And if that happens, the future of The Fantasy Trip is sunk.

A product's shelf-presentation has *less than 3 seconds* to get the eye and interest of a consumer; can we really afford to abort those 3 seconds - *If we get them* - on: "Huh?" Pass.

And to agree with your other point - There is no legitimate excuse for what is being trotted out as the new artwork for The Fantasy Trip; as the world is full of talented artists - who can take *proper* art direction and deliver on-time - and they are all just looking for their first big commercial break.

Therefore, there is no reason these unsuitable art-concepts should ever see the light of day under the TFT masthead; in my opinion; *and they never would on my watch.*

However, I am only the final authority on all-matters TFT at the cash register - where it counts - as pointed out above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennDoren View Post
What I'm currently seeing isn't doing it. It's making me nervous :-|
*making you nervous*??? I've been nervous since the All-New Testosterone-Free Melee logo made it's initial debute; along with that child-friendly, short and chubby cartoon sword.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 06-16-2018 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #15
GlennDoren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
*making you nervous*??? I've been nervous since the All-New Testosterone-Free Melee logo made it's initial debute; along with that child-friendly, short and chubby cartoon sword.
I guess I tried to end on a more diplomatic tone ;)

In short: the art is looking really amateurish, and there are plenty of really talented artists and art directors out there in the entertainment industries. Please--go hire a couple of them!

And yeah--I already voiced my concerns about the logos and the Wizard cover, but this Melee cover has pushed me into "Slam the RED BUTTON and stop this train!" mode. Time to re-evaluate while a change is still inexpensive.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #16
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennDoren View Post
I guess I tried to end on a more diplomatic tone ;)
WHY?

The *only* thing at risk is securing a future in the marketplace for The Fantasy Trip.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 06-16-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #17
Skarg

My main fear is that the cover art shown so far seems to me (and apparently, most others who have commented) not to convey much of anything about what the games are like, and nothing very interesting or compelling.

Cover art represents a game visually, imaginatively and emotionally, and that's really important. When I think of ITL/AM/AW, I think of the feelings and gaming ideas/experienced conjured by those covers, as well as all the content and the campaigns I've run with them. When I see the original covers, I'm inspired and tempted to play.

When I see these new covers, I'm disappointed and not inspired at all (except to replace the cover art).

If I saw the new covers and didn't already know about the games, I'd think I was looking at some very light and/or generic game about magic or fighting that would probably not be something I'd be interested in. I certainly wouldn't think there were a fascinating deadly tactical combat game with extremely well-designed mechanics and a great unique magic system that works well both for tactical combat with warriors and in an RPG. There's no way I'd spend $30 to find out unless I read something accurate about it, and I likely wouldn't bother to because the art would tend to give me the impression they were unlikely to be interesting.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #18
Tolenkar

It just doesn't convey the "flavor" I was hoping for. I loved the TFT book covers and Melee's original cover. I guess I was hoping for something a little darker, maybe even a bloody sword and a bit of sweat... gladiator style.
It must be tough to please everyone with cover art.

Yours in Adventure,
Tolenkar
Old 06-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #19
Nebless

I always thought the front and back artwork of the original Melee cover got the idea about what the game was very well.

Was never a big fan of the follow on full color version; the guy and girl were OK, but something always seemed off about the monster he stood over, but once again you got the idea of what the game was about.

This new sample just doesn't do that. A charging Roman guy, OK, big deal.

And like one of the other posts said it reminds me of a 'Lost World' combat book cover.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:59 AM   #20
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Commodeus, the Constipated also gets the *Thumbs Down* from me.
You should’ve posted a carbonated beverage warning. I nearly had Diet Dr. Pepper coming out of my nose...
Closed Thread