Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #101
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Hall of Judgment for the DFRPG: Now LIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Enjoying the read right now! Excellent work!

Yeah!?
Yes. I've got three ideas of my own, and three more gelling with other authors. All of that depends on pending conversations with SJG, but it certainly won't be the ideas that are the rate-limiting step.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #102
corwyn

That's pretty darn exciting. I'm especially glad that we finally have the DF version of Dungeon Grappling which I also backed.

One question: DG allows for spellcasting, albeit with great difficulty. I don't see it anywhere here. Does that mean it's completely forbidden with any CP inflicted?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #103
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
That's pretty darn exciting. I'm especially glad that we finally have the DF version of Dungeon Grappling which I also backed.

One question: DG allows for spellcasting, albeit with great difficulty. I don't see it anywhere here. Does that mean it's completely forbidden with any CP inflicted?
I would go with "yes, forbidden," since by and large Close Combat, let alone being grappled, sucks pink fuzzy donkeys in the DFRPG.

If you want to allow it but with complexity, apply either identical penalties to DX, or double them, so just being grabbed is -4, and it ramps to -16 *real fast.*
Old 08-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #104
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Now . . . what's next?
How about the triple choc ice cream of GURPS adventures- usable with Dungeon Fantasy, Monster Hunters and After the End?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #105
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
How about the triple choc ice cream of GURPS adventures- usable with Dungeon Fantasy, Monster Hunters and After the End?
This would be interesting, but very, very challenging. Monster Hunters is a 400-point modern game, DFRPG is 250-point with different assumptions about Magic, and AtE is . . . many things, really.

I suspect in order to maintain focus for the product and sanity for myself, if I ran with a common premise for those three wildly different system assumptions, it would still be three different books.

From a production standpoint, the DFRPG layout is 8x10, while the other lines are 8.5x11, so unless I want to release all my future books in 8x10, I'd have to lay it out again (when I convert HoJ to Dragon Heresy/5e, I will face a similar challenge, I suspect; I may just throw my hands up and do it in 8x10 anyway, but that decision is in the future by a bit).

Then there's licensing, which would require at least two, if not three, separate licenses for various reasons. It's all one point of contact, but the license brings with it permission to use the words of the SJG product, and DFRPG is wholly owned and separable, whereas some of the other products split between multiple authors. In short: messy.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #106
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
This would be interesting, but very, very challenging. Monster Hunters is a 400-point modern game, DFRPG is 250-point with different assumptions about Magic, and AtE is . . . many things, really.
In short: messy.
Thanks for the in-depth answer! I was, of course, being frivolous though. Well, half frivolous- Ghostdancer's blog has his Triple Threat monsters written up for different genres, and I was wondering if an adventure could get the same treatment.

I guess the other point is, that while it's great to have DF/DFRPG adventures, it'd be just as great to see the other lines getting some attention to. Not that this is meant to be all up to yourself, of course.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #107
DouglasCole

I just sent out the final little "extra," the JPG file variations of the maps by Glynn Seal, ENnie Gold Medal winner for cartography in the 2018 ENnie awards.

Incidentally, if you are into OSR stuff, or just want a great grim setting, check out both the Midderlands and the Midderlands Expanded, both by Glynn. I backed both kickstarters, and they're good work.

In any case, you now have the PDF of the book, JPGs of the encounter maps, and JPGs of the "navigational" maps in formats suitable for players and GMs.

The only thing left is the physical copy, which as I've said should be in your hands by mid-September . . . with an outside chance of "late August" for certain lucky folks (I imagine if you're in the UK, that since your books will go into Royal Mail on August 24 or so, you very well may get your books that next week).

So while we're not done, we're close. The only thing left is something for me to ask of you: which is that if you like the adventure, the grappling rules, the wilderness rules, or whatever; if you run it and play it; if you think a particular piece of art or turn of phrase is fun . . . please take the Da Internetz and talk about it.

Thanks! The next update will likely be in about 10-14 days as printing and shipping begin.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:47 PM   #108
InfinitePudding

I love the Glen Seal maps! They are so good :) I appreciate the little extra. :D
InfinitePudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #109
DouglasCole

Printing should be complete on Hall of Judgment in the next day or so. I give an update on timing and expectations in a blog post:

Fulfillment Fortnight Begins!
Old 08-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #110
NiccoloSanGiovanni

Looks like I just missed the Kickstarter. :-( Will the PDF be available for purchase outside of Kickstarter?
NiccoloSanGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote