Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 08-18-2004, 06:03 AM   #1
KDLadage

Default The Pyramid Message Boards

Is there any chance that the Pyramid Message Boards will move to a format like this one? As a user of the web interface, I find that these style message boards are much easier to navigate and more user friendly.
KDLadage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:03 AM   #2
NightHawk

Default Re: The Pyramid Message Boards

Better yet is there a way to combine the two and have only some of these messages viewable by pyramid subscribers I know from a sales point of view it would be a hell of an incentive to see just what they are talking about especially when some of them are things only pyramid subscribers can find out.....

Also it would be nice to find it all in one place rather than having to log into pyramid and then into here to follow a discussion, as well it might reduce overlap of questions being asked in both spots.

Rules are like guidlines and are viewed differently depending on which side you are standing on!
NightHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:21 PM   #3
Cyberzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk
Better yet is there a way to combine the two and have only some of these messages viewable by pyramid subscribers I know from a sales point of view it would be a hell of an incentive to see just what they are talking about especially when some of them are things only pyramid subscribers can find out.....

Also it would be nice to find it all in one place rather than having to log into pyramid and then into here to follow a discussion, as well it might reduce overlap of questions being asked in both spots.
I know that it is technically possible, 'cause that's what we do on Nothingland. Whether it is *practical* for them is another thing entirely. They might have old posts they want to keep referencing. But the software allows that sort of thing, should it be practical.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:59 PM   #4
mythusmage
Banned

What, a Nothinglander on these boards!?. Why, next you'll be getting folks from ENWo...

I'll be in the corner if you need me.
mythusmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:10 PM   #5
rbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberzombie
I know that it is technically possible, 'cause that's what we do on Nothingland. Whether it is *practical* for them is another thing entirely. They might have old posts they want to keep referencing. But the software allows that sort of thing, should it be practical.
Well, aside from the practicallity, sjg has had problems with stuff from the pyramid boards popping up elsewhere n violation of the user agreement, advertising the fact that there is a section of these boards that is protected will just make the idea of breaking surface more often. Out of sight, out of mind.

As much as I prefer this style to the web interface and NNTP, I don't think it will happen.

Besides, I could just see the whine fests here about the privelidged ones, much like they have been doing about Black Lodge over at NTL.
rbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:35 PM   #6
smrole

Well, they could simply change the look of the pyramid boards, then.
smrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:12 PM   #7
smrole

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDLadage
Is there any chance that the Pyramid Message Boards will move to a format like this one? As a user of the web interface, I find that these style message boards are much easier to navigate and more user friendly.
Amen! I'm still have no idea of how I can re-read old messages on the pyramid boards...
Plus, colours are cool! :P
Old 08-18-2004, 11:53 PM   #8
gschildt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrole
Amen! I'm still have no idea of how I can re-read old messages on the pyramid boards...
The "All articles" link at the top of the page if you're using the web interface. Most NNTP clients save the old messages unless you explicitly delete them, so I assume you're not asking about those.
gschildt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:07 AM   #9
smrole

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschildt
The "All articles" link at the top of the page if you're using the web interface.
gosh, thanks! I thought it was something meant to show all the unread posts from all the groups... doh!
That teaches me that the old saying about clicking everywhere and then worry is still valid... :P
Old 08-19-2004, 12:09 AM   #10
gschildt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDLadage
Not in the foreseeable future. There are technical reasons and fan-related reasons.

On the technical side, while making restricted access forums is easy, getting the access list from a magazine subscription list is not so easy, and importing an NNTP message store into forum software is not "practical."

It seems everyone has an opinion about what interface they prefer, and while nine out of ten forum users prefer the forum interface, the same can be said for NNTP, etc. We don't have any plans to cancel the Pyramid NNTP groups, or for that matter the public NNTP groups like rec.frp.gurps, just because we started these forums. We'll let our fans use the interface they prefer to use to discuss our games - at least as long as they're civilized about it. :)
gschildt is offline   Reply With Quote