Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Playing the Adversary; how's it worked for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Cool; I actually do own Social Engineering, so I'll definitely look at that.

And I can totally see Haley saying some of Burke's lines, e.g., "This installation has a significant dollar value!"

Thanks for the tips, Ghostdancer.
One does what one can. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
Gigermann

Haven't done "adversary" with GURPS, but our GM for Deadlands has done it a couple of times, notably when a single/couple PC(s) are temporarily on their own. The first, a single PC was up against the rest of the Players, playing vampires, who were stumbling over each other (not 100% intentional) in an attempt to kill her. Not only was it much easier for the GM, and kept the other Players in the game, but was one of the more memorable and fun instances in the campaign.
Gigermann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Bruno

For temporary Adversary players, I've recruited players of PCs who are currently absent, and I've recruited "special guests"; someone's brother shows up for one session, he might get handed an adversary NPC, a handful of monsters, whatever.

There's also the more traditional setup, where a player character becomes possessed or is replaced by a shapeshifter, and you have the player continue playing "the same character" in order to avoid tipping off the rest of the party. I did that once, and it went pretty well (in this case it worked particularly well because the player had a melodramatic streak, but it was pure luck; he was the one who lost the contest, so he got a blender-demon in his PCs head).

Our entire group is populated with GMs, so I do feel pretty comfortable grabbing any random player and having them take over something GM-like and having them act both competently and responsibly.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
There's also the more traditional setup, where a player character becomes possessed or is replaced by a shapeshifter, and you have the player continue playing "the same character" in order to avoid tipping off the rest of the party.
A firend took this a further stage. The shapeshifter's impersonation was so good, and his objective so long-term, that the GM just left the player running the impersonator, without telling him for several months.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic set