Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-02-2018, 07:13 PM   #81
platimus

Default Re: IQ rise and talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
You know guys, it's starting to feel like 'the cure is worse than the disease'. I get that IQ bloat could be an issue in the old system, but there also seems to be some real issues w/ the unintended consequences of using XP to buy talents directly.

Just a thought.
Like what? The XP costs? Those can be adjusted.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #82
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
Like what? The XP costs? Those can be adjusted.
Right, but I guess what I mean is that all of this discussion around trying to find the right formula for XP's 'purchasing' power is eliminated if you simply restrict talents to being a factor of one's IQ alone... like it used to be.

Don't get me wrong, purchasing talents using XP directly seemed fine on paper, but the sheer number of threads on this board on the subject seem to imply that there may be more issues w/ the idea than originally thought.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:29 PM   #83
platimus

Quote:
Right, but I guess what I mean is that all of this discussion around trying to find the right formula for XP's 'purchasing' power is eliminated if you simply restrict talents to being a factor of one's IQ alone... like it used to be.

Don't get me wrong, purchasing talents using XP directly seemed fine on paper, but the sheer number of threads on this board on the subject seem to imply that there may be more issues w/ the idea than originally thought.
Finding the right formular for XP's purchasing power is eliminated? So you'd be OK with the current costs to raise stats if the only way to get a new talent/spell was to increase IQ?
Old 10-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #84
TippetsTX

Quote:
Finding the right formular for XP's purchasing power is eliminated? So you'd be OK with the current costs to raise stats if the only way to get a new talent/spell was to increase IQ?
I didn't say that, but I would be OK if purchasing talents was only possible thru raising IQ like it used to be. It would be simpler, would it not? Not as flexible, but simpler.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #85
platimus

Quote:
I didn't say that, but I would be OK if purchasing talents was only possible thru raising IQ like it used to be. It would be simpler, would it not? Not as flexible, but simpler.
Not really any simpler. Doesn't eliminate discussions about XP costs either.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #86
TippetsTX

Quote:
Not really any simpler. Doesn't eliminate discussions about XP costs either.
No, it doesn't eliminate them, but it keeps the acquisition and use of XP focused on increasing stats rather than the hybrid we have now.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #87
tomc

I like the new system too. It allows for people who aren't academic or intellectual (high IQ) but know a lot of different things by virtue of having been around a long time and done a lot of things. Someone who doesn't have the capacity to learn an IQ 9 talent, but knows all the IQ 8 talents. Under the old systems you'd have to have a genius IQ to know all the IQ 8 talents.

It uncouples the depth (IQ) from the breadth (number of talents).

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #88
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
I like the new system too. It allows for people who aren't academic or intellectual (high IQ) but know a lot of different things by virtue of having been around a long time and done a lot of things. Someone who doesn't have the capacity to learn an IQ 9 talent, but knows all the IQ 8 talents. Under the old systems you'd have to have a genius IQ to know all the IQ 8 talents.

It uncouples the depth (IQ) from the breadth (number of talents).
That’s only true, however, if you adhere to the bias that IQ is solely a way to quantify raw intellect. I prefer the premise that IQ also represents a character's life experience, ability to learn and adapt, application of knowledge as well as their intellectual potential. A high IQ doesn't have to mean genius... it could just mean talented.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:13 PM   #89
platimus

Quote:
That’s only true, however, if you adhere to the bias that IQ is solely a way to quantify raw intellect. I prefer the premise that IQ also represents a character's life experience, ability to learn and adapt, application of knowledge as well as their intellectual potential. A high IQ doesn't have to mean genius... it could just mean talented.
Well, since we already have something call "Experience" maybe that should represent a character's life experience, etc.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:13 PM   #90
hcobb

Split them off entirely. All starting characters have knowledge 10.

Wizards who raise their IQ get to trade in for higher level effect spells of exactly the same type for no extra charge. Three hex wall? Of course, it's suddenly so clear to me how to extend what I already learned.