Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-26-2018, 03:37 PM   #401
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Oh, yes, search-and-replace is my friend. But one has to be careful. Everybody knows the story about TSR and dawizard, right?

Here's a section that got REALLY scrambled. Looks as though perhaps it was translated to Aramaic and back . . .

---

That's what it allows often the gets creation down to. of per*Fantasy sonalized Trip characters - you can create The a whip character like who Indiana spots Jones, traps for and example cracks -a but if Roll-playing the players replaces want to role-playing; hack, they the hack. de*signer's One way work is to make wasted. characters more in*ana teresting Jones is was to give afraid them of snakes. handicaps.

---

That's right. When in doubt, teresting Jones is was to give afraid them of snakes. That'll fix it.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #402
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

And later we find the evocative fragment:

Who snakes?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:51 PM   #403
JLV

I have to laugh -- I've been down that same road with official pubs that were scanned for conversion to ePubs. They almost always come out sounding like Japanese Stereo Owners' Manuals translated into English by a native speaker of Tagalog.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:52 PM   #404
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post

Who snakes?
😂😂😂😂

I do. It's my nickname. 🐍🐍
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:05 AM   #405
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
😂😂😂😂

I do. It's my nickname. 🐍🐍
In this midst of all this clamour for change I would like to say that one big advantage of having attributes exist in a vacuum (i.e. not modified by comparison) is that you know exactly how tough your monsters are and balanced scenario design is consequently a lot easier. That's probably more important when playing as a game like Melee than as an RPG but it's worth pointing out.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:20 AM   #406
Rick_Smith

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip - Vinyl Mat

Hi all,
I bought a Chessex Vinyl hex map, and manually drew mega hexes on it with permanent markers.

Actually, I put in dotted lines black lines for mega hexes, solid red lines for Mega-Mega hexes (a collection of 7 mega hexes), and made mega-mega-mega hexes in solid black.

A regular hex I call a 'level 1' hex, a mega hex is a 'lv 2' hex, etc. Note that a level 4 hex (a mega-mega-mega hex) is exactly equal to a Lords of the Underearth hex.

This map is sweet. I can draw terrain on it with dry erase markers. It is big enough for the largest battles.

Finally, a lot of my area spells have radius of (for example) 5 mega hexes (like the Dazzle spell). Where the mega hex the wizard is standing in when he casts it counting as radius zero. A nice big map is a good fit for such spells.

Signing a contract with Chessex to make such maps would be a useful addition to the new TFT. (Or you could hire someone to make them for you and sell them yourself.)

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:43 AM   #407
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post

Who snakes?
Not me!

I'm with Indiana on this one.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #408
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi all,
I bought a Chessex Vinyl hex map, and manually drew mega hexes on it with permanent markers.

Actually, I put in dotted lines black lines for mega hexes, solid red lines for Mega-Mega hexes (a collection of 7 mega hexes), and made mega-mega-mega hexes in solid black.

A regular hex I call a 'level 1' hex, a mega hex is a 'lv 2' hex, etc. Note that a level 4 hex (a mega-mega-mega hex) is exactly equal to a Lords of the Underearth hex.

This map is sweet. I can draw terrain on it with dry erase markers. It is big enough for the largest battles.

Finally, a lot of my area spells have radius of (for example) 5 mega hexes (like the Dazzle spell). Where the mega hex the wizard is standing in when he casts it counting as radius zero. A nice big map is a good fit for such spells.

Signing a contract with Chessex to make such maps would be a useful addition to the new TFT. (Or you could hire someone to make them for you and sell them yourself.)

Warm regards, Rick.
I'm with Rick on this one too -- such a "battlemap" would be an ENORMOUS plus to a boxed version of any of the games. Especially if you were to include dry erase markers, or even terrain features that could be placed on the map (megahex size trees, pits, or rocks, for example, as well as the more common hex-sized obstacles such as pillars...).
Old 01-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #409
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I'm with Rick on this one too -- such a "battlemap" would be an ENORMOUS plus to a boxed version of any of the games. Especially if you were to include dry erase markers, or even terrain features that could be placed on the map (megahex size trees, pits, or rocks, for example, as well as the more common hex-sized obstacles such as pillars...).
All that stuff already exists; it's called Heroscape.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #410
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
All that stuff already exists; it's called Heroscape.
Have you priced it lately? If YOU have that kind of money, that's great, but I don't. Besides, as we've already noted, I prefer maps and counters to miniatures.

Tags
in the labyrinth, melee, roleplaying, the fantasy trip, wizard