Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Meteor Barrage
Spell Effects: Greater Create Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Burning (Multiple Projectile, Guided).
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).

6d burning
RoF 1x3
Ignore range penalties, travels 10/yards per seconds, requires Concentrate each turn until it hits, miss if lose sight of target
100 Max
Acc 3
Rcl 1
See B412 for info on Guided attacks.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, External Burning 6d (RoF 1x3 +50%, Guided +50%) (24). 90 energy (30x3).

Spectral Razor
Spell Effects: Lesser Destroy Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Internal Cutting (Selective Effect).
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

If target within 5 yards fails to resist, he is slashed as if by an invisible blade for 2d+2 cutting damage that ignores DR and the caster may choose to target a hit location.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Damage, Internal Cutting 2d+2 (Selective Effect, +20%) (13) + Range, 5 yards (2) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 23 energy (23x1).

Atlas Flexed
Spell Effect: Greater Strengthen Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, increased ST.

The subject of the spell (the caster or touched by the caster by default) has their ST increased by 5 for 10 minutes.

Typical Casting: Greater Strengthen Body (3) + Altered Trait, +5 ST (50) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 171 energy (57x3).

I Prepared Explosive Runes Today (or "Uh-oh! Looks like you clicked the wrong square!")
Spell Effect: Greater Create Energy + Lesser Control Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Burning (Explosive 1).

This spell is cast as a charm on a piece of paper with writing on it, which is then usually folded up for safety reasons. When anyone reads the writing on the paper charm, it triggers the spell to create an fiery explosion with the paper as its 'point of impact' (ground zero). The explosion's damage is 4d burning.
See B104 and B414 for rules on explosions.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, External Burning 4d (Explosive 1 +50%) (14) + Lesser Control Magic (5). 75 energy (25x3).

These look good, but as Varyon already noted, you're going to need a Sense effect for the Runes.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Varyon

Quote:
2) I already did the 2x for explosive external. The modifier for it is +50%, which adds 10 energy for a burning attack.
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought you essentially had the option to drop from 3x to 2x and get Explosive 1 in return, not that tacking on Explosive (at any level) via Enhancements dropped the multiplier from 3x to 2x. The text appears to lack any example of an explosive ritual, but the example quasi-ritual Path of Energy botch is External Explosive Burning 4d for 4 energy, indicating you do not need to toss on an extra 10 energy to make it explosive. I'd say that +50% (+10 energy) would boost it to Explosive 2 (which may be useful for Explosive Runes and the like), +100% (+20 energy) to Explosive 3.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought you essentially had the option to drop from 3x to 2x and get Explosive 1 in return, not that tacking on Explosive (at any level) via Enhancements dropped the multiplier from 3x to 2x. The text appears to lack any example of an explosive ritual, but the example quasi-ritual Path of Energy botch is External Explosive Burning 4d for 4 energy, indicating you do not need to toss on an extra 10 energy to make it explosive. I'd say that +50% (+10 energy) would boost it to Explosive 2 (which may be useful for Explosive Runes and the like), +100% (+20 energy) to Explosive 3.
This is how you do it. This is what I thought I read. If that's not the case, paying for Explosive 2 is +10 energy and level 3 is +20 energy - but only AFTER you purchase Explosive damage normally.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-23-2014, 01:36 AM   #14
ajardoor

Do we have Word of God on this? Designers, if yer reading, is it handled automatically with the doubling, or does it require the enhancement modifier?
Old 03-23-2014, 01:53 AM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Well, I'm not God (I guess that's PK), but yeah...this is how you do it. Basically, if you want Explosive 1, you use the normal rules for external damage (p. 17 of GURPS Thuamatology: Ritual Path Magic). If you want Explosive 2 you add +10 energy (for a +50% modifier), and +20 energy for Explosive 3. That's it. I guess if you're doing some sort of weird explosive curse, for internal damage...It's not listed, but I add +10 energy to get Explosive 1, +20 for Explosive 2, and +30 for Explosive 3. Does that make sense?

Become a Patron!
Old 03-23-2014, 03:28 AM   #16
ajardoor

Yep. Thanks.

Gonna edit it and repost along with some new rituals later.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:22 AM   #17
ajardoor

New rituals and some freshly errata'd ones from before;

I Prepared Explosive Runes Today (or "Uh-oh! Looks like you clicked the wrong square!")
Spell Effect: Greater Create Energy + Lesser Control Magic + Lesser Sense Mind.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Explosive Burning.

This spell is cast as a charm on a piece of paper with writing on it, which is then usually folded up for safety reasons. When anyone reads the writing on the paper charm, it triggers the spell to create an fiery explosion with the paper as its 'point of impact' (ground zero). The explosion's damage is 4d burning.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, External Explosive Burning 4d (4) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Sense Mind (2). 51 energy (17x3).

Kill Switch
Spell Effect: Lesser Destroy Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: Meta-Magic.

This spell cancels one of your charms, elixirs and conditional rituals that has yet to be triggered/consumed/reach terminal condition/broken/whatever. The spell deactivates harmlessly, just like it was the oldest one 'hung' and you just made a new one when you were at your limit (see Ritual Path Magic page 25 and 30). This spell is resisted by the target spell's casting Path skill and requires extra energy equal to the targeted spell's cost (see Ritual Path Magic page 24).
Targeting another mage's conditional magic requires a resistance roll against the casting Path skill, and probably modifiers for Range to the caster.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Magic (5) + Meta-Magic (X). 5+X energy (5+Xx1).

Review the Soul
Spell Effect: Lesser Sense Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: None.

This spell reminds you the details of all your currently 'hung' magic, including conditional rituals, charms and elixirs - including what triggers the conditional rituals have ("Snapping your fingers and saying this Latin phrase will trigger the Circle of Death spell..."), what general effects they all have ("This spell allows the caster to read a person's mind..."), in what order they were prepared ("The seventh conditional ritual is Great Healing...") and what each charm and elixir looks like ("The paper crane is for the Fireball spell..."). It does not tell you the physical location of a charm or elixir. It doesn't tell you the energy cost of each spell. It doesn't tell you when any of them were prepared. Casting this on another caster requires a resistance roll and probably modifiers like Range and Area of Effect.

Typical Casting: Lesser Sense Magic (2). 2 energy (2x1).

Edit the Preparations
Spell Effect: Lesser Control Magic + Lesser Transform Magic.

This spell repurposes or redirects ONE conditional spell (hung ritual, charm or elixir) of the subject (the caster or touched by the caster by default) - different effect (I.e. healing HP instead of healing FP) within the same category (I.e. Lesser Restore Body), different Path or category (i.e. Lesser Destroy Body to Lesser Destroy Magic or Lesser Destroy Body to Lesser Restore Body ), different trigger, different subject, different modifiers, etc. If the changes would increase the cost of the targeted ritual, the caster must supply the extra energy herself as part of casting THIS spell and a Lesser Strengthen Magic effect is needed as well. If the changes instead lower the cost of the spell, the reductions in targeted ritual's cost would NOT reduce the cost of casting THIS spell and a Lesser Destroy Magic effect is needed as well. Dispelling the magic altogether is outside the ability of this spell.
The subject would not naturally know their conditional spell has been tampered with, save by the usual means (I.e. a Lesser Sense Magic ritual). The targeted magic resists with the casting Path skill.
See Ritual Path Magic page 24 for notes on Meta-Magic.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Transform Magic (8) + Meta-Magic (X). X+13 energy (X+13x1).

Neck Breaker
Spell Effects: Lesser Destroy Body + Lesser Control Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Internal Crushing

This conditional ritual allows the caster to trigger with a word and a gesture, twisting the neck bones of the subject (within 10 yards, 3d+1 crushing damage, x1.5 wounding modifier for hit location, DR from rigid armour and natural advantages (not Tough Skin) protect against this damage normally) and breaking it if it's fatal. The ritual is resisted.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Damage, Internal Crushing 3d+1 (Selective Effect, +20%) (13) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 30 energy (30x1).
Old 03-23-2014, 04:52 AM   #18
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Spell Effect: Greater Create Energy + Lesser Control Magic + Lesser Sense Mind.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Explosive Burning.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, External Explosive Burning 4d (4) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Sense Mind (2). 51 energy (17x3).
Looks good.

Quote:
Kill Switch
Spell Effect: Lesser Destroy Magic.

This spell cancels one of your charms, elixirs and conditional rituals that has yet to be triggered/consumed/reach terminal condition/broken/whatever. The spell deactivates harmlessly, just like it was the oldest one 'hung' and you just made a new one when you were at your limit (see Ritual Path Magic page 25 and 30). This spell is resisted by the target spell's casting Path skill and requires extra energy equal to the targeted spell's cost (see Ritual Path Magic page 24).
Targeting another mage's conditional magic requires a resistance roll against the casting Path skill, and probably modifiers for Range to the caster.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Magic (5) + Meta-Magic (X). 5+X energy (5+Xx1).
I don't see anything off with this right away.

Quote:
Review the Soul
Spell Effect: Lesser Sense Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: None.

This spell reminds you the details of all your currently 'hung' magic, including conditional rituals, charms and elixirs - including what triggers the conditional rituals have ("Snapping your fingers and saying this Latin phrase will trigger the Circle of Death spell..."), what general effects they all have ("This spell allows the caster to read a person's mind..."), in what order they were prepared ("The seventh conditional ritual is Great Healing...") and what each charm and elixir looks like ("The paper crane is for the Fireball spell..."). It does not tell you the physical location of a charm or elixir. It doesn't tell you the energy cost of each spell. It doesn't tell you when any of them were prepared. Casting this on another caster requires a resistance roll and probably modifiers like Range and Area of Effect.

Typical Casting: Lesser Sense Magic (2). 2 energy (2x1).
This is a Greater Sense Magic effect.

Quote:
Edit the Preparations
Spell Effect: Lesser Control Magic + Lesser Transform Magic.

This spell repurposes or redirects ONE conditional spell (hung ritual, charm or elixir) of the subject (the caster or touched by the caster by default) - different effect (I.e. healing HP instead of healing FP) within the same category (I.e. Lesser Restore Body), different Path or category (i.e. Lesser Destroy Body to Lesser Destroy Magic or Lesser Destroy Body to Lesser Restore Body ), different trigger, different subject, different modifiers, etc. If the changes would increase the cost of the targeted ritual, the caster must supply the extra energy herself as part of casting THIS spell and a Lesser Strengthen Magic effect is needed as well. If the changes instead lower the cost of the spell, the reductions in targeted ritual's cost would NOT reduce the cost of casting THIS spell and a Lesser Destroy Magic effect is needed as well. Dispelling the magic altogether is outside the ability of this spell.
The subject would not naturally know their conditional spell has been tampered with, save by the usual means (I.e. a Lesser Sense Magic ritual). The targeted magic resists with the casting Path skill.
See Ritual Path Magic page 24 for notes on Meta-Magic.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Transform Magic (8) + Meta-Magic (X). X+13 energy (X+13x1).
So this is kind of a no-no. I've played with this sort of thing before and the playtest didn't turn out well. Still, the restrictions you've placed on it might mean that it's balanced. Playtest it to be sure.

Quote:
Neck Breaker
Spell Effects: Lesser Destroy Body + Lesser Control Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Internal Crushing

This conditional ritual allows the caster to trigger with a word and a gesture, twisting the neck bones of the subject (within 10 yards, 3d+1 crushing damage, x1.5 wounding modifier for hit location, DR from rigid armour and natural advantages (not Tough Skin) protect against this damage normally) and breaking it if it's fatal. The ritual is resisted.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Damage, Internal Crushing 3d+1 (Selective Effect, +20%) (13) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 30 energy (30x1).
That looks right. I rather like it too. Might use that in my own campaigns.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #19
ajardoor

Quote:
This is a Greater Sense Magic effect.
Really? According to page 10 of the RPM book, Lesser Magic effects cover ambient spells (conditional rituals, charms, elixirs) and, by default, it is most useful to casters without Eidetic/Photographic Memory who use conditional magic a lot. Unless you're using it on other mages. And the RPM book notes in a few places that you can use a Lesser Sense Magic ritual to discover the energy cost of a spell (cast or hung). Greater Sense Magic is for stuff like actual casting abilities, places of power, enchanted items and other permanent factors.

Or is it simply too powerful in some way (I'm guessing scope/breadth of info?) to be Lesser?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #20
Christopher R. Rice

Right, but from what I get from your description it's telling you exactly what all charm/conditional/etc. is. I could definitely be wrong, but the text implies (and I've run it this way) that you get information about one such spell, charm, or whatever - not all of them. I suppose you could add Area Effect and a Lesser Sense Magic effect...but the cost would turn out near the same anyways.

Become a Patron!

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology