Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Captain Joy

Default Is Flying Leap based of DX or IQ?

If you didn't already know the answer, my guess is you would say DX. So, why it is IQ?

I said "of" instead of "off" in the title and there is no way to fix it. How embarrassing.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Is Flying Leap based of DX or IQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
If you didn't already know the answer, my guess is you would say DX. So, why it is IQ?
Because bending the laws of physics to your will takes moxie.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
malloyd

My guess would be because when it was converted from 3e (Mental/Hard), where it was probably assigned for a Will component, to the 4e notation, it got automatically assigned to IQ. Some of the cinematic martial arts skills did get altered to other mental components (Blindfighting went to Per, Power Blow went to Will), some altered stat entirely (Body Control went to HT, Light Walk to DX) but some just converted to IQ (Invisibility Art, Pressure Points and Zen Archery are in the same situation, and don't make a lot more sense there than Flying Leap does.) If it really bothers you, you could base it on Will without harming many existing characters - martial artists with Will < IQ are pretty scarce character types.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #4
B9anders

because it stems from the master's intimate knowledge of Qi, which is IQ-based, not physical training.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Maybe has something to do with attribute diversification for TbaMs. I mean, really, having all the cinematic skills be based on very different attribute sure makes life harder for TbaMs. DX would be too easy, though.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I wouldn't say DX - it's about calling up your chi and launching yourself. HT possibly, but IQ or one of its derivatives really does seem more appropriate for all of the mystical skills. They're not based on "I jump really far because I'm co-ordinated" - they're based on "I jump really far because I channel my chi along my dragon lines and project it in a motive force just as I jump." Power Blow (very similar) isn't DX or ST based either. These are practically magic spells in disguise.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic set, skills