Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #131
JesterAndBlue

Default Re: The Trouble with GURPS 4.0 and Supers Games

Can anyone tell me what the "Informal -50%" limitations do to Legal Immunity and Legal Enforcement?

Thanks,

Jester
JesterAndBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #132
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterAndBlue View Post
Can anyone tell me what the "Informal -50%" limitations do to Legal Immunity and Legal Enforcement?

Thanks,

Jester
They mean two things. First, although the character has the de facto power to do things like committing break and enter or arresting people and will not face legal consequences for it, it's a wink and a nod thing. They could not for example tell any police officer "this is my jurisdiction, you stay out" although they might point out to one "You don't have any weapons that can hurt Blue Demon". Nor could they show up at a lock-up and expect to interrogate prisoners like a police officer. They can't expect any formal recognition of their status, because they have no status. Just a blind-eye.

The second and more important thing, is that their protection from the consequences of their actions is very fragile. If the cops start to suspect that they aren't legit allies of the law, or have crossed a line, while a real cop could expect a formal hearing with a union rep at his side, and a real ambassador would be declared persona non grata and leave with no further consequences, a superhero's protections will vanish in an instance and stay gone until he somehow gets back on their right side.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #133
oma

Not sure if this was covered or not, but after the first two pages I thought I should mention that Hardened DR just limits Armor Piercing and doesn't do anything vs a normal attack other than be regular DR. Also, Deceptive attack is the answer to high dodge scores. There. Now does ANYONE think we should have to repeat that one more freaking time???? Wow!
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #134
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Not sure if this was covered or not, but after the first two pages I thought I should mention that Hardened DR just limits Armor Piercing and doesn't do anything vs a normal attack other than be regular DR. Also, Deceptive attack is the answer to high dodge scores. There. Now does ANYONE think we should have to repeat that one more freaking time???? Wow!
The last post was three months ago. Why dredge this up?

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #135
Captain-Captain

Treat Lift weights as from the handbook as GURPS maximums. Won't make any serious difference and saves a LOT of paperwork.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #136
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Treat Lift weights as from the handbook as GURPS maximums. Won't make any serious difference and saves a LOT of paperwork.
If you call not being able to perform feats actually typical of a character being modeled not making any serious difference...
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #137
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
The first thing was covered on the first page of the thread.

Deceptive Attack works great if skill levels are high enough, and if it's available for ranged attacks. Otherwise, I don't know that high dodge scores always need an 'answer'; just plain not getting hit is typically how I-scale characters like Daredevil survive fights with C-level monsters like the Submariner, at least until they blow a few rolls and have to fatigue themselves with TV Action Violence or soak the damage by spending CPs on Flesh Wounds, then eventually go down for the count.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers