Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-29-2009, 01:23 AM   #21
Maz

Default Re: the Unbreakable David Dunn [movie spoilers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
I did mention the birds eye view, didn't I ;-)?
I think thats merely an artistic way to show the audience it, as Dunn himself describes it as "just a feeling" or something like that.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:36 AM   #22
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I think thats merely an artistic way to show the audience it, as Dunn himself describes it as "just a feeling" or something like that.
Perhaps, but if you go with the equally valid interpretation that the visions are literally are from outside of the perspective of the offender, then Mind-Reading doesn't work. It can pick up on clues.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #23
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Perhaps, but if you go with the equally valid interpretation that the visions are literally are from outside of the perspective of the offender, then Mind-Reading doesn't work. It can pick up on clues.
Yeah, I'd be fine with Psychometry that works on people and further limited to criminal acts.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #24
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I think he calls it "just a feeling" because otherwise people might think he's crazy. When Price presses him for information on how he knew the guy going into the stadium was armed, Dunn eventually describes it as seeing the weapon, which he describes. As Price loses the guy, the guy's jacket moves enough that he can see the pistol - and it's exactly what Dunn described. The fact Price mentions that going into Central Station and viewing people's crimes would be difficult also implies that Dunn really is seeing what the audience sees - or, at least, some close approximation.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:13 AM   #25
SonofJohn

How a bout danger sence with the enhancement others?
He can precieve danger for others.

The Problem with the strenght is that gurps strenght is defined about a maximum of what is possible... may be extra effort is the way to go but even this seems not to fit perfectly.
SonofJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:34 AM   #26
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofJohn View Post
How a bout danger sence with the enhancement others?
He can precieve danger for others.

The Problem with the strenght is that gurps strenght is defined about a maximum of what is possible... may be extra effort is the way to go but even this seems not to fit perfectly.
High ST no greater than 20 plus high Will for Extra Effort should allow for anything he was able to do in the movie, including the deleted scenes where he goes up to benching above 500 lbs, except possibly ripping the door of the car in the flashback to his accident. It's quite possible the hinges were already damaged or that this doesn't take more than ST 20 anyway, though.

As for his 'invulnerability', since we don't see him actually bouncing bullets and his greatest feat is surviving the train wreck, I'd say the most he needs is Unkillable 2 with the No Obvious Damage Perk from Supers (so when he goes past -10xHP he appears unconscious but unharmed rather than skeletal), Fast Regeneration (so he'd recover from this state in something under two hours), Recovery, High Pain Threshold, Immune to Disease, and optionally some DR, Immunity to Poison, etc., all suitably limited not to apply to immersion in water of course. He might be able to get by with just a high HT+Hard to Kill (16+) and some degree of Luck, depending on exactly what you think happened to him on the train. Does anybody recall how badly his clothes seemed to be damaged?

As for the 'what evil lurks in the hearts of men' thing, Psychometry is honestly tailor-made for this ability.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:29 PM   #27
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Odds are, you won't get that from unrestricted Mind Reading anyway since few people monologue to themselves all the details of their scheme and every detail they know about obstacles in their path. And if he did, since he's thinking about a crime, the guy with that restriction would get it all.
You want Mind Probe instead of Mind Reading to get the buried thoughts and quite possibly with some of the special enhancements from Powers.

I also see no reason to see his Unbreakability as more than some Injury Tolerance and some DR. Unbreakable Bones from Powers and some regeneration on the 1/hour level would cover a lot of stuff. Effectively No Vitals and No Brain because his unbreakable skeleton protects them (also from Powers) would also be in line.

I probably wouldn't go past Unkillable I.

He probably is a little too dense to float well and can drown just like a normal.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:34 PM   #28
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You want Mind Probe instead of Mind Reading to get the buried thoughts and quite possibly with some of the special enhancements from Powers.
A decent suggestion in any other situation, but it has been proven to be the incorrect way of handling his ability.

Also, I do not recall if his clothes were injured in the train crash, so i'll have to watch that part again.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #29
Fred Brackin

Quote:
A decent suggestion in any other situation, but it has been proven to be the incorrect way of handling his ability.

Also, I do not recall if his clothes were injured in the train crash, so i'll have to watch that part again.
It's not obvious to me how he does it.

A leading alternative though would be simple Precognitiion. That already comes in flashes and feelings and can take a variety of viewpoints.

ISTR that his clothes were damaged in the train wreck. He looked like hell, he just turned out to be virtualy uninjured after he got to the ER.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #30
Flyndaran
Untagged

I never saw the movie, but how in bloody heavens does one not notice a lifetime of no sickness or injury? I and my brother have never had the flu, and that alone seems unusual to many people.
Did they cover that, or does he have cluelessness?
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers, unbreakable