Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
Agemegos

Default It's 2019. What's your game?

G'day folks!

Another year has begun without my actually running or playing in anything. But you, I hope, have exciting new games to tell us about.

Help me RP vicariously through your games!

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: It's 2019. What's your game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
G'day folks!

Another year has begun without my actually running or playing in anything. But you, I hope, have exciting new games to tell us about.

Gearing up to play in an aD&D 2e game set in the Forgotten Realms. We'd jsut finished with the Pathfinder 2e playtest material which had left an unpleasant taste in our mouths. So it was time for something lighter.

Lighter in rules maybe anyway. Not lighter in suplements. I only brought 5 books to the chargen session but the DM had multiple crates. I rolled my 4D6s and then looked at what I potentialy had and what the other players were doing and decided on a big tough Fighter. ST 18/40, Con 16 and all of 12 HP.

I mentioned the supplements and kits were fair game and I had searched for good ones. My Fighter choice was the regional one for Rashemen. Some free equipment and the ability to enter a "mild berserker rage". A modest 5 round buffing with no particular drawbacks.

Then the DM looks at where everyone else is from and decides that we're starting in Waterdeep. So I guess my character has ridden farther than anyone before without earning any XP. I get out my boxed set maps and it'd be at least 3000 miles as the dragon flies.

So I am quite happily immersing myself in game mechanics and setting details. I'm working on my signature character shticks too.

"Ha! I am Varka of the Two Swords <thumps chest> and I have ridden here from far Rahemen <makes sweeping arm gesture>! I have ridden through Milptan and Bilderboo and Bezentil and.....".

Rahemen is a_long_ way away. It'll be a while before Varka gets to any names you recognize.

Happy, happyy, happy!
Old 02-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
Kax

Still running the GURPS Fantasy campaign I started [redacted] decades ago. They are presently trying to fight an evil demon-worshipping priest and protect the Chosen One and his destiny-bound islands.

Also running the long-running D&D game I was asked to run some time ago; it's not something I'd have started on my own as D&D has elements I don't like. However, it's now on its 3rd version of D&D but still in Forgotten Realms....

BTW: Hi, Brett. This is Paul M, I played in Flat Black for a short while a long time ago. :D
Old 02-20-2019, 04:46 AM   #4
exalted

Sadly or perhaps not its the same this years as the last few years. Been running what I call a living playtest of an exalted-gurps mash up for a while now and it feels like the characters are just finding their stride and are gearing up to take on enemies introduced when most of them where harmless mortals many moons ago, recently recruiting allies such as undead demon-gods, making pets of godzilla like dinosaurs and an absconding with an entire people of time travelling lizard people. Its frequently outright bizarre but we have a great deal of fun with it. In gurps terms which most of the system is based on they are probably characters of a few thousand points but they are still very human in the ill thought out trouble they often create for themselves not rarely through backstabbing and deceit. They also live in a world where someone declaring he is dealing infinite damage isn't all that uncommon.

I've been wanting to play something a bit simple on occasion and something with guns instead of swords and martial arts but I really don't have time for two games.

Last edited by exalted; 02-20-2019 at 04:52 AM.
exalted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
L.J.Steele

GMing: Unlimited! A CW-esque rules-lite Superhero game using a mash-up of Fate Core, Venture City, and bits from Dresden Files Accelerated. Looking hard at the upcoming Shadows of the Century for more bits to pillage.

Playing: Terra Nueva -- GURPS Space. Second generation of refugees from a broken earth-like world are peaking back out at the universe. Format is more troupe-like with each player having a couple of lower point Jr. officers, and one higher-point Sr. officer. Each adventure is lead by a Sr. officer who picks from among the Jrs.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #6
GM Joe

I'm GMing a HERO System 4e street-level supers campaign that started last fall.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:44 AM   #7
whswhs

Nothing new this year. Up here in Riverside I'm running a Mage: The Ascension campaign set in London in 1905, the year after the Sons of Ether joined the Traditions. Down in San Diego I'm continuing my GURPS Fantasy campaign.

The Mage campaign is a bit incoherent, in that I have players whose preferred approach involves clowning around. On the other hand, I had a quite serious scene where one of the players inflitrated the Technocracy, got caught planting magical tokens for purposes of espionage, and was threatened with having his brain erased and reprogrammed if he didn't commit to spying on his own allies.

The Tapestry campaign has the adventurers back home in Portus Argenti, where they've commissioned a larger ship's construction, and one of them, Hanno, is looking for a wife, while two others, Nergul and Sangmu, investigate the nature of magic and the spirit realm.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
Apollonian

It might be Dragon Heresy, we're two sessions in, but... one of my players is moving to Japan in April and I'm not sure the rest of the group will be interested in hanging on with it. We might continue online instead of face to face.

I do quite like the system, though.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
G'day folks!

For me, I'm currently running a WEG d6 Star Wars - mashup of 1E and 2E (not 2ER), and 2 L5R 5E games. I plan on sacrificing one for DUNE, when it hits playtest.

I post synopses on RPGGeek in the weekly "How Did Your Session Go" lists.

I am, after several years of having ongoing Star Wars games, sick of Star Wars.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Season 2 of Infinite Weirdos ended early this year. So, it's on hiatus until I come up with Season 3. Hand of Bobb is running his Teen Supers game now. Due to a number of issues, I wound up taking over my sisters D&D 5E game slot and am now running a D&D 5E Spelljammer game (with strong Star Wars overtones).

I'm prepping a GURPS BattleTech game as this year is the 35th anniversary of BattleTech and I've been playing it since it was BattleDroids. This will happen after Bobb's Teen Supers arc ends.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote