Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #61
Maximum7

Default Re: What could a scientist in my Star Wars RPG be researching?

My Star Wars story will now involve a scientist who is studying the ancient servers of the Holonet. As he learns about its beginnings, he thinks of ways he can make the Holonet better for everyone. What improvements can he make to the Holonet?
Maximum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:42 PM   #62
Lord Azagthoth

Maybe he stumbles upon the dark HoloNet, a HoloNet solely used by criminals and perverts. and he manage to leak information to the New Republic's criminal investigators (and he can earn a profit immediately while he works on a solution to either shut down the dark HoloNet, or keep it open and react to any new security layers so he can hack into it and keep giving info to the law enforcement. If he's a true scientist, he might need the help of a computer programmer/hacker.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #63
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
Maybe he stumbles upon the dark HoloNet, a HoloNet solely used by criminals and perverts. and he manage to leak information to the New Republic's criminal investigators (and he can earn a profit immediately while he works on a solution to either shut down the dark HoloNet, or keep it open and react to any new security layers so he can hack into it and keep giving info to the law enforcement. If he's a true scientist, he might need the help of a computer programmer/hacker.

It’s a great idea but they have a darknet in canon. Lando used it to see footage of the First Death Star’s destruction and he recognized his old ship, the Falcon participating. I’m looking for something that is out of the box and not something you can just assume exists based on the principle that the technology to do so exists and it’s plausible. It has to be something that you would have to have a quest to create. Synthetic coaxium was a good one but a speeder with deflector shields is not because its almost certain that that exists already. Synthetic coaxium was going to be my idea but I like the rarity of hyperfuel and don’t want that to change.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:10 AM   #64
Irish Wolf

See, the thing is you're confusing being a scientist with being an engineer. The scientific field most likely to have you going into interesting places in a Star Wars universe would be something along the lines of xenoarchaelogy, especially if you're investigating a historical theory that threatens one or another group's assertions - say, chasing down evidence that the Mandalorians were not in fact great warriors, but just had some really good PR, or something in Hutt history that might embarrass even them (although frankly I'm at a loss to figure out what that might be).

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #65
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
See, the thing is you're confusing being a scientist with being an engineer. The scientific field most likely to have you going into interesting places in a Star Wars universe would be something along the lines of xenoarchaelogy, especially if you're investigating a historical theory that threatens one or another group's assertions - say, chasing down evidence that the Mandalorians were not in fact great warriors, but just had some really good PR, or something in Hutt history that might embarrass even them (although frankly I'm at a loss to figure out what that might be).
Given they were very proud of their "deal" 25000 years before the movies that essentially forced three alien species into perpetual enslavement status, finding something to embarrass them may be near impossible. (And this is before they left Varl (their original homeworld) and bought Nal Hutta in a deal that makes the Dutch purchase of Manhattan look expensive....)

Maybe there's evidence that they had a prior war with the Tionese before they tussled with Xim the Despot in pre-Republic times? Or maybe someone rediscovered Varl, and there's evidence there that the Hutts came from somewhere else and conquered Varl rather than originating there? *shrug*

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #66
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post

Yeah well you’re right about me asking for something an engineer would do. However, I don’t want a piece of tech anymore. I want something for him to study.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #67
Maximum7

I’m thinking about doing something related to Hyperspace. What science can my scientist study about Hyperspace before he’s called away to deal with the supermassive black hole?
Old 03-23-2019, 10:50 PM   #68
Maximum7

I’m making one last round on all the forums I posted on. I’m looking for something highly advanced.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #69
Phantasm

For hyperspace, new hyperspace routes are being charted all the time in the Outer Rim, and even in the Mid and Expansion Rims there's new shortcuts to be found. Plus there's uncharted Wild Space out past the Outer Rim....

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #70
Kax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
I’m making one last round on all the forums I posted on. I’m looking for something highly advanced.

that statement has a couple of problems. :P

* the SW canon and SWI lore are written by non-scientists and non-engineers, and most were written years or decades ago. So their view of 'highly advanced' includes stuff we have or know now.

* you've been given a set of topics, some outside present knowledge--'highly advanced'--and some at the outer edge, that fit your stated requirement.

So to be useful to you we'd need a more concrete idea of both what you mean by 'highly advanced' in this context and what your acceptance and rejection criteria are.

And there's a good chance that once you work that out you'll think of an answer yourself. :P

Tags
sci fi, star wars, technology