Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
Phantasm

Default [Supers] Legacy Hero Social Disad?

A player in an upcoming supers game is going to be playing a legacy hero, and we can't seem to find a suitable social disadvantage for one aspect of it. (I'm not the GM, just the resident GURPS Guru/designated rules lawyer.)

Basically, the character is the legacy of one of the Big-Name Lines, heir to a near-unbroken legacy of heroes that stretches back to just before WWII. The public is definitely going to have preconceived expectations of nobility and greatness for this character, expectations the character is not yet ready to face.

I've been thinking of having it modelling it as a levelled Quirk, but that seems a bit low. Any other thoughts on how this could be handled?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 04-21-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
lexington

Default Re: [Supers] Legacy Hero Disad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
A player in an upcoming supers game is going to be playing a legacy hero, and we can't seem to find a suitable social disadvantage for one aspect of it. (I'm not the GM, just the resident GURPS Guru/designated rules lawyer.)

Basically, the character is the legacy of one of the Big-Name Lines, heir to a near-unbroken legacy of heroes that stretches back to just before WWII. The public is definitely going to have preconceived expectations of nobility and greatness for this character, expectations the character is not yet ready to face.

I've been thinking of having it modelling it as a levelled Quirk, but that seems a bit low. Any other thoughts on how this could be handled?
Perhaps a positive Reputation along with Low Self Image? People will treat him/her with the respect that comes with his lineage but the character will be convinced that he just isn't good enough.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Perhaps a positive Reputation along with Low Self Image? People will treat him/her with the respect that comes with his lineage but the character will be convinced that he just isn't good enough.
The player's actually thinking the public will be overliy critical of the hero until she proves herself. Kind of the opposite.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
vierasmarius

Then that could just be a negative Reputation: Not as good as his predecessors. He buys it off once he's proven himself.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
lexington

Quote:
The player's actually thinking the public will be overliy critical of the hero until she proves herself. Kind of the opposite.
Hmm. Being in the public eye would be Enemy (Watcher, Large Group) [-7]* with a Negative Reputation, everything she does is analyzed and seen as a bad thing.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Social Stigma: Second-Rate Hero (-5 points) until he earns enough to buy it off (signifying general acceptance).

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
Captain-Captain

Default Re: [Supers] Legacy Hero Social Disad?

Quote:

"Destiny: Recipient of unrealistically high expectations"? Basically he will be rescieng acolades etc no matter what happens until he eitehr epic fails in front of the world OR figures out a game justifying reason to buy off the the destiny.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chargen, legacy hero, supers