Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 10-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
DarkPumpkin

Default Boat Wars

Did you get much mileage from this supplement? How does it hold up, from the vehicle construction angle and the actual gameplay?
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
Manycubes

Default Re: Boat Wars

I bought it back when it came out. Never used the boats. Used the hovercraft counters with homebrewed simplified movement rules. This was probably the supplement I got the least "mileage" out of.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
woodchuck

Bought both the pocket box and the big box and never used them. We asked for boats and hovercraft so I can't really complain.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:11 PM   #4
ckosacranoid

Never palyed with bouts or aircraft at all. never really did much with armor for that matter/ did biuld an armored car once and thats about it for that.
ckosacranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
kjamma4

I only recall playing once using the boat rules. There was nothing in them that stuck out as better than cars so after that one time just went back to cars.

On a related note, I think we only used aircraft (helicopters) once. I had a car with a universal turret that managed to do three points of damage to a heavily armored helicopter which caused a series of rolls that resulted in a rotor failure.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
Magesmiley

Some. We did a few games using the rules. Probably more than any of the air vehicles (choppers, planes, etc.). Less than car trailers and races though.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #7
43Supporter

_Boat Wars_, I'm sorry to say, is Fatally Flawed, esp. in the boat construction rules -- the hulls are too heavy to carry any meaningful armor; and the way the torpedo rules work, there is no point in using anything but Homing Torps, and putting all the armor on the U facing.

Hull Weights: Many moons ago, I wrote a piece on this topic. The short version is: The hull weights are way-out-of-line compared to the max-load available. The Rowboat's hull weight is 12.5% of its max load; the Dinghy is 43%; the Speedboat is 38.5%; the Cruiser is 36%; the Yacht is 25%. The middle three should be around 15%. (Aquabikes are a better deal -- 15%, 10%, and 11%. Hovers are 20%, 26%, 34%, 35%, 31%, and 32.5%.)

This leads to the second problem: The way Boat Armor works, attacks by Torpedoes against F, L, R, or B arcs hit the U armor facing (_CWC2_ 78), and hit automatically. A mass attack of Homing Torpedoes is not only almost impossible to avoid, but is going to inflict ludicrous damage (Mini Torps alone average 7 pts.; Heavies average 21).

In the end: Boat duels turned out to be "Macross Missile Massacre" events, and not all that interesting.

If I can unearth it, I can e-mail the piece I wrote on the topic to those who are interested.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
DarkPumpkin

Interesting, 43Supporter. I suspect that not that many people actually played the hell out of Boat Wars and discovered it's flaws as you did. Which in itself says something.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:44 PM   #9
juris

Just remember designing a boat with decent but not excessive weapons and finding out it had 60 points of armor.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:55 AM   #10
Racer

Played dozens of games involving Boats . Most involved Military Vehicles & the Boats weren't often part of the combat actions .

Anti-Torpedo Launchers , Proximity Fused Depth Charges , Foxers & Detcord Grenades all can help against Homing Torpedoes . Propeller Noise Reduction System is brilliant for foiling them in defensive situations .

A couple of cheap Aquabike with Noisemakers (ADQ ?) running at 85mph , can make excellent decoys vs High Speed Homing Torpedoes . You might lose one to launches from multiple angles , but that's acceptable against losings a Cruiser or Amphibious Truck .

Last edited by Racer; 10-20-2020 at 03:58 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote