Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-27-2020, 06:30 AM   #1
geppo_68

Default Magic resistance vs friendly spells

Hi to all,
how magic resistance interacts with useful spells?
A regular resisted spell can be willingly not resisted if the subject thinks the spell is useful.

Now, plain magic resistance could not switched off, so it will affect the caster roll, but can I decide not to resist at all, in order not to incur into the subsequent for example HT+MR roll?

Thanks
Giuseppe
geppo_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Magic resistance vs friendly spells

Standard Magic Resistance (Adventurers, p. 51) cannot be switched off. It is automatic. Note, however, that most useful spells don't have resistance rolls, so you're only applying your level of MR as a penalty to the spellcaster's skill. A typical 250-point cleric, for example, should have Major Healing at level 15. If you have Magic Resistance-3, she will need to beat a 12 to successfully heal you. If she fails, she loses 1 FP and can try again. Odds are, she'll be able to heal you. This gets dicey, of course, as you get even higher levels of MR or if your cleric has already healed you.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
geppo_68

Yes all this was already clear to me.
But I try to make an example.

Ulysses HT 12 who has a MR of 3 is going to assault a nest of harpies, so he asks his friend magic user Tirones who has the "strike deaf" at level 15 spell to cast on him.
He is willing to accept the spell, as in this situation is beneficial, so he decides not to resist.
So what is the correct solution:

a) Tirones roll on 12 (spell lvl- MR) then the effect applies if successful
b) Tirones roll on 12 (spell lvl- MR) ; Ulysses resist on 15 (HT+MR); then the effect applies if Tirones wins and Ulysses fails
???

Thanks.

Last edited by geppo_68; 09-27-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
Imbicatus

It’s option B. You cannot turn off MR, so f the spell has a resistance roll you have to resist.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
geppo_68

Ok, this is my interpretation as well.
Many thanks!
Old 09-27-2020, 05:32 PM   #6
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
It’s option B. You cannot turn off MR, so f the spell has a resistance roll you have to resist.
I'm not so sure. I'm going to take the contrary opinion.

I believe option 'a' is the correct interpretation.

I've just tried to review the relevant rules from DFRPG and GURPS as well as my own cheat sheets. The issue can be a bit complex.

Here is what I believe:

If the subject of a caster's spell has magic resistance:

The caster's roll is always penalized by the subject's Magic Resistance score regardless of the subject's acceptance of the magic.

If the spell provides for resistance and if the subject "accepts" the magic, he may forgo his own resistance roll.

Also note that you don't require Magic Resistance to be able to resist a resisted spell. For example, anyone would be able to make a resistance roll against their HT against the aforementioned Strike Deaf spell.

Here's why I believe this interpretation:

Refer to Resisted Spells (see Spells, p. 14).

Quote:
A conscious subject who's aware that something is happening may choose not to resist.
The text then indicates that the caster is penalized by the subject's Magic Resistance "even if the subject is willing!"

Therefore I conclude that choosing not to resist means that the subject can forgo the only thing left which is his own resistance roll.

Edit: The advantage Magic Resistance indicates that you can't turn it off (see Adventurers, p. 51). Although somewhat ambiguous, I believe this is meant to apply only to the penalty for the spell caster.

Potions and Magic Resistance

Now there is something that seems inconsistent to me.

A subject with Magic Resistance may not forgo his resistance roll when consuming a beneficial potion that he wants to accept.

I wonder if this difference is to compensate for the fact that with a potion there is no spell casting roll that is always penalized.

So Magic Resistance has a double effect. First on the caster's roll and then for the subject's resistance roll. Since a potion doesn't allow for the first effect, maybe the rules mandate the second effect.

In fact, a similar compensation occurs with area effect spells. Casting across an area isn't contingent on magic resistance. However, any effects on subjects in the area are determined by doubling a subject's Magic Resistance score for use with her resistance roll.

Last edited by Tom H.; 09-27-2020 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added some clarifying content.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:23 AM   #7
ArchonShiva

I agree: Magic Resistance can’t be turned off, but does not force you to resist.

GM may be more demanding on “knowingly” foregoing resistance: it the wizard does not clearly let you know Hush is coming, how do you know it’s friendly? Most GMs just let beneficial spells work if the players want them to, but MR might require more intentional opening of your defenses.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
geppo_68

well, then can we have a canonical interpretation from Kromm, just to be sure?

Tags
consent, magic resistance, resisted spells