Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-01-2019, 01:19 PM   #11
Phantasm

Default Re: Funny Character Names

A quartet of NPCs, drunken master martial artists named Larry, Curly, Moe, and Shemp.

A trio of CoH zombie minions: Vomit, Chunder, and Spew.

And for some reason people thought my half-orc bard's name, Unglar, was hilarious.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:46 PM   #12
(E)

In a cyberpunk game one player was aiming for a generic sounding name, he went for James Carter, my friends call me Jimmy. All without making the connection.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #13
Black Leviathan

One of my players was a little stoned while making characters for a quick game we were playing and he hadn't come up with a name by the time we were starting game, however he had decided his character had an undeserved reputation as a legendary warrior heralded across the land. When I pressed him for a name knowing it would come up a lot he said "I'll think of something, just da-ta-da for now.." So the first scene of the game with both players approaching a battered town wall and the guards on the parapets begin to shout "It's Dah Tadah the Ork Slayer!, Dah Tadah: Hero of the vale approaches, throw open the gates!". He was a good sport and eventually embraced the name.

Another two-player game my friend made an archer named Conrad Thicke who ironically was skinny. So I decided I had to make an Axe-fighter who was obese and named him Arnold Thinn. From there we ran into a slew of NPCs that had jokes names like James Tallboy the Halfling fence and Erin the hung, a bandit queen who had survived a lynching.

Last edited by Black Leviathan; 10-01-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:40 PM   #14
lwcamp

One game I played in, all us players decided we would name our characters after vegetables. We had Khol Rabi, Arugula Radicchio, and our monk - Brock Lee. There were a couple others, but it's been too long and I don't remember them all.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:10 AM   #15
johndallman
Night Watchman

A friend may still have the elven cleric Elrond Hubbard.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
Dr. Beckenstein

Extreme Vengeance: in a sword-and-sandal adventure ("Just tonight - all-you-can-eat dinner in hell!") I played a former general named Pancreas.

For another adventure for Extreme Vengeance, I created a villain, a South American drug lord called Felix Navidad.

Oh, and my secondary pc for Shadowrun is an orc mercenary. His name is Kevin, and because his favourite weapon is the Ares Alpha Combat Gun, his street name is Alpha-Kevin.

German readers will probably roll their eyes now.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #17
Fred Brackin

Oh dear. Someone mentioned superhero names and I failed my will roll. The odd thing is that I am not that closely implicated in most of these. Champions 1e, 1980 or so.

The Heroes:

Captain Deltoid

Ronnie Raygun.

Pizzaman!

Spraycan Man!

Bark the Space Dog (who had a female human dnpc named "Bindi").

Bubble Boy (who really can't be explained without a lot of verbiage about 1st ed Champions mechanics). The result though was possibly the worst abuse of game mechanics I may have ever seen.

Then there were some Villains who I might bear some responsibility for:

The Pacmandroid, whose mission in his artitificial life was to eat his way through Bubble Boy's bubble. Sometimes a look of fear on a player's face is a GM's greatest reward. Taunt me with your indestructible hero will you? :)

Blorg the Devastator. I actually stole a lot of this from a very cheesy Star Wars imitation. Well, the four-armed lizard man with the goofy name anyway. the malfunctioning universal translator with the comioc opera Russian accent might be my fault ("I, Blorg the Devastator am arresstinks you in the name of me, Blorg the Devastator!").
Old 10-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #18
martinl

Tornadie de Requin
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #19
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I wanted to make an elf cook called Falaffiel, but my GM wouldn't allow me.
I applaud his decision.

For my gaming pleasure, I attempt to discourage silly names.

Still, some do crop up.

Player, not knowing japanese, wanted to name her kakita artisan "octopus"... Kakita Taco resulted in a few humorous introductions.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #20
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

In my current DFRPG game: Barbarian that shrugs and gestures with his hammer when asked his name "Dunno Smashgood."

A friend of mine had a penchant for such names. "Benton Harmon Folkes" and "Fillmore Graves" were a couple of his.

I use working titles when players are slow to name their characters. A couple of knights were "Sir Face" "Sir Camcision" "Sir Loin" "Sir Vix" with the expectation that the players would change when they came up with one. One player kept the name.

"Sir Vix" is still in service in the same DFRPG game mentioned above.