Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #31
naloth

Default Re: IT:DR pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Originally in this Krommpost. The term doesn't appear in any of the PDFs I happen to have. (DF would seem as likely as any; probably Pyramid if it got published at all.)
Hmmm, perhaps instead of using IT:DR, it would be better to use a combination of Fixed ST and ADR.

Benefits of HP and IT:DR is that you can go into the negatives. Your negative pool is potentially x5 your positive pool. ADR on the other hand is all positive, but when you run out it's much more serious. For survival purposes HP is overall cheaper (negative pool) while ADR keeps you in the fight longer. As far as "1/2 damage from fire" type things, IT:DR is still much easier on the paperwork but ADR wouldn't be confusing to implement. You'd simply have a bigger buffer against certain types of damages. I suppose a side perk is that ADR heals independently of HP at the rate of HP.

hulking mass
ST 20/40 (20 as Fixed ST) [100+160]
DR (Ablative -80%; Ignores AP, uses Injury multipliers instead 0%) [80]
Regeneration (Instant) [10]

That would take knockback, slam/fall, and have a default weight calculated as ST 20. For damage, he has a 20 HP, but those don't get touched until you to 80 points of other damage. HP heals at 2/turn, ADR at 8/turn. ADR would be taken after other DR (absorption).

Using injury mods (cutting, impaling, piercing, hit location bonuses) seems like a fair trade off for ignoring AP?

Last edited by naloth; 01-12-2019 at 02:09 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #32
naloth

I stated out a few PCs that way and it basically turned into the stun points that 3e Supers had as an optional rule. In play, they weren't popular. I guess part of the enjoyment of combat is that HP wounds are serious while stun wounds are more of a "buffer" that's hard to take seriously. Worse when everyone has a buffer you expect to have to plow through it before doing real damage. IT:DR *feels* like real damage even you take more.

Mathematically I suppose ADR works out about like what I proposed, though, so under the hood you could just implement it as a divisor... Thoughts?
Old 01-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #33
Bruno

Quote:
Originally in this Krommpost. The term doesn't appear in any of the PDFs I happen to have. (DF would seem as likely as any; probably Pyramid if it got published at all.)
Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Barbarians has it, along with the combat issue of Pyramid (I think, the one with fighter Power Ups).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:48 PM   #34
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Barbarians has it, along with the combat issue of Pyramid (I think, the one with fighter Power Ups).
Did it expand on it more the Kromm post? I've never thought it was a particularly attractive option to buy. It doesn't look like it increases your death check thresholds. VR does heal separately, but high HP already heals at the HP/10 rate, so that separate healing only helps on certain breakpoints.

ER has a few benefits over fatigue, and it's not like you're losing the "negative" pool for fatigue since running out has all sorts of additional problems attached.

For Supers game, I've done the "all HP over 12 is massless unless you back it with a realistic weight" house rule. Knkbk = Dmg/10 is easy to calculate.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #35
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I got it published in Pyramid #3/75: Hero's Jackpot for my article "A Familiar Path" with Sean's permission.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote