Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
Alonsua
Banned

Default GURPS/Space/Earth

Has anyone got a planet sheet for Earth, with RVM and Affinity scores, among others?
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
Humabout

Default Re: GURPS/Space/Earth

There isn't an official one, but conisidering all planetary statistics are normalized to Earth statistics, set everything equal to 1.

It is trivial to find that Earth's Habitability score is 8, and in the absense of a proper dataset concerning the mineral wealtg of worlds, it is reasonable to assume Earth to have a Resource score of 0. Thus its Affinity score is 8.

Demographic and societal information is readily available online.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
There isn't an official one, but conisidering all planetary statistics are normalized to Earth statistics, set everything equal to 1.

It is trivial to find that Earth's Habitability score is 8, and in the absense of a proper dataset concerning the mineral wealtg of worlds, it is reasonable to assume Earth to have a Resource score of 0. Thus its Affinity score is 8.
I have serious problems reconciling the income with the net worth according to GURPS rules. For income it seems like Earth is TL8 Struggling (Average multiplied by 0.36), but for Wealth it seems like Earth is TL8 Comfortable (Average x2 plus 3%).
Old 01-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
I have serious problems reconciling the income with the net worth according to GURPS rules. For income it seems like Earth is TL8 Struggling (Average multiplied by 0.36), but for Wealth it seems like Earth is TL8 Comfortable (Average x2 plus 3%).
That is actually perfectly consistent with a planet that exceeds it's carrying capacity for the technological level it is at.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
That is actually perfectly consistent with a planet that exceeds it's carrying capacity for the technological level it is at.
I dont know, but how are we supposed to represent it in GURPS terms?
Old 01-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
I dont know, but how are we supposed to represent it in GURPS terms?
Why would we want to? What does a planet's cumulative "Wealth" matter?
Old 01-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Why would we want to? What does a planet's cumulative "Wealth" matter?
Do I really need to explain it? The planetary wealth basically represents the accumulated wealth of all the inhabitants of the planet while the total income represents the sum of the individual income of each human being on the planet. With the figures we have, the average person would have a comfortable networth and struggling income (a bit lower than struggling actually).
Old 01-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
Celjabba

Quote:
Do I really need to explain it? The planetary wealth basically represents the accumulated wealth of all the inhabitants of the planet while the total income represents the sum of the individual income of each human being on the planet. With the figures we have, the average person would have a comfortable networth and struggling income (a bit lower than struggling actually).
Those are average, so thats certainly look coherent.
I have no real idea, I never looked at the planetary stats close enough to know what it truly mean, but it doesn't strike me as impossible.

The sad fact is that there are a lot of people with low income, and that earth is a ressource rich planet. So...

Last edited by Celjabba; 01-09-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
But what use is it to know the "accumulated wealth of all the inhabitants of the planet"? It seems a statistic with no application. Particularly since even with individuals, wealth in that sense is just what they get to start out. They can in fact accumulate much more money than their wealth gives them, without altering their income at all just by spending the minimum possible.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #10
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
The sad fact is that there are a lot of people with low income, and that earth is a ressource rich planet. So...
Thats not what the GURPS wealth represents though, since it relates to income and personal assets. The only way to represent this would be to divide the Wealth advantage in two different parts, one for income and the other for assets.