Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #21
Daigoro

Default Re: Fast forward cyberpunk action game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenex View Post
Without Fast Draw a gun armed person should not be able to engage someone closer than 21 feet before they can close and engage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill
Any time someone mentions that, I feel obliged to post this:

21 Foot Rule - from Justified

BTW- GURPS-wise, moving 21 feet requires Move 7, which is slightly high for the average character. You'd probably have to call it the 15 foot rule to match the reality of the game system.
Space Opera: Behind the King's Eclipse
Steampunk: Colonial Steam

Last edited by Daigoro; 09-19-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:37 AM   #22
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post

BTW- GURPS-wise, moving 21 feet requires Move 7, which is slightly high for the average character. You'd probably have to call it the 15 foot rule to match the reality of the game system.
It requires Move 7 to do it in a single second, but the study showed volunteers averaged 1.5. Which could easily be a Move, then an All-Out Attack.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:51 AM   #23
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
It requires Move 7 to do it in a single second, but the study showed volunteers averaged 1.5. Which could easily be a Move, then an All-Out Attack.
But the gunman only needs to do a Ready in the same time, as GURPS doesn't deal with half seconds.
Space Opera: Behind the King's Eclipse
Steampunk: Colonial Steam
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:59 AM   #24
The Benj

Sure, but the important part is:

Person 1, turn 1: Moves 5 yards toward Person 2
Person 2: Readies gun
Person 1, turn 2: All-Out Attacks, moving 2 more yards, then clobbers Person 2.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM   #25
Tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post

That's a funny clip!

It's always difficult merging real world notions into game terms. I'm coming back to this game after a long break (over 25 years) and am reacquainting myself with the rules (especially 4thEd). Everyone should take my suggestions as real world concepts to generate ideas for restricting the dominance of guns rather than something that will work perfectly per GURPS canon.
Tenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM   #26
AlexanderHowl

21 feet only applies to amateur gunmen (without Fast-Draw). Professional gunmen (with Fast-Draw) are faster.
AlexanderHowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #27
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
21 feet only applies to amateur gunmen (without Fast-Draw). Professional gunmen (with Fast-Draw) are faster.
The thing about real life is that people don't always die immediately, nor do they always end up being rendered "incapacitated". The 21 foot rule is largely a reminder that even if the guy you shot ends up dead, he can STILL kill you. Having him die first is not necessarily a good criteria of determining whether you won the fight or not.

The other issues inherent with gun fighting is that an adrenaline dump isn't necessarily your friend. Yes, it concentrates your senses to the task at hand, but it can also render your eye/hand coordination somewhat suspect. Train like you fight, fight like you train is all about keeping you from going into an adrenal state - ie remain calm and professional.

In the end, GURPS sort of models this. Hitting zero or less results in consciousness problems, but for someone with a relatively high HT stat, those who would otherwise succumb to their injuries remain conscious and functional. Those who would eventually die of blood loss, can still perform functions such as knifing your character in the vitals or even getting lucky with a crit success while doing decent damage.

I've noted that no one has suggested the purchase of GURPS TACTICAL SHOOTING and using the rules for making gun combats a bit more gritty. Between the rules for realism, the assessing of penalties for lighting, etc - the original poster may want to purchase a copy for use with any campaign involving gun play.

One thing I noted was the capping of shock penalties to a max of -4. If a character is not stunned, the worst they suffer is a -4 penalty to their next attack. If they're sufficiently trained enough to hit despite that -4, they are still dangerous...
hal is offline   Reply With Quote