Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
Hide

Default Looking for character sheets: Displacer Beast & Malboro

Hey there,

I am looking for two monster templates, the Displacer Beast from D&D and the Malboro from Final Fantasy.

Has any of you played with such beasts?
I would like you to point me to a character template for reference; if you could share advice or character sheets of your own it would be nice as well.

Thank you!
- Hide
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Looking for character sheets: Displacer Beast & Malboro

I've never converted either, but I'd probably treat the displacer beast as invisible with a limitation that gives away its presence.

The most obvious limitation is "Visible", on page 112 of powers. It fits the description quite well. Once you stop laughing about visible invisibility.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
Bruno

I think "Fringe" might work. Either that, or call it a Glamour based on Perception instead of IQ.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
Colarmel

Marlboro is just a crazy expensive affliction as a breath attack, depending on how many status effects you want it to have, and a biting attack. I don't remember the Marlboro ever doing anything else.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
mr beer

I would probably just give a straight up penalty to hit a Displacer Beast, like -4 or something.

One possible complication would be saying that Targeted Attacks automatically miss until the character understands what's going on i.e. the Beast is 12 inches away from where they appear to be. After that they can make Targeted Attacks but still with the -4 penalty.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
Varyon

A quick Google search for GURPS Displacer Beast gives several results, here's a pretty decent one. Note that version, because it uses Defensive Obscure, has the added benefit of allowing close allies to benefit from the displacement as well.

GURPS Malboro isn't so easy. As a plant, it probably has No Brain, and probably has No Eyes besides (it technically does have eyes, but you'd have to poke so many out to actually inconvenience it you might as well say No Eyes). It may have Extra Arms, with all its arms having Flexible (being tentacles and all), but it typically only attacks with its mouth, which may have extra Striking ST and certainly has Born Biter. It arguably has Born Biter 5, as it's basically just a giant face. Bad Breath is a large series of Linked Afflictions with Area Effect, Blood Agent, and Selective. While in Final Fantasy it tends to bite and retreat, in GURPS it would probably bite the target, turn this into a grapple, and worry away until the target was in two pieces.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
A quick Google search for GURPS Displacer Beast gives several results, here's a pretty decent one. Note that version, because it uses Defensive Obscure, has the added benefit of allowing close allies to benefit from the displacement as well.
Does obscure actually work that way though? If it does, then its a good fit. But I'm not totally sold that it gives penalties to hit.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 10-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #8
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Does obscure actually work that way though? If it does, then its a good fit. But I'm not totally sold that it gives penalties to hit.
It was mentioned in my IT:Blur thread (which may be an even better fit, seeing as that ability was actually designed with the D&D Blur ability in mind, which is the same way the displacer's beast ability worked), but apparently Psionic Powers has Anti-Targeting, where it only works against attack rolls, as a -20% Limitation. In fact, I don't recall the displacer beast being difficult to see in D&D, so that Limitation may be appropriate here as well.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
It was mentioned in my IT:Blur thread (which may be an even better fit, seeing as that ability was actually designed with the D&D Blur ability in mind, which is the same way the displacer's beast ability worked), but apparently Psionic Powers has Anti-Targeting, where it only works against attack rolls, as a -20% Limitation. In fact, I don't recall the displacer beast being difficult to see in D&D, so that Limitation may be appropriate here as well.
Ummm... yeah, that actually fits the description quite well. you'd want defensive as well. That's still really cheap though. I don't think you need stealthy, but I don't know.

Obscure never ceases to amaze me with just how versatile it is.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Ummm... yeah, that actually fits the description quite well. you'd want defensive as well. That's still really cheap though. I don't think you need stealthy, but I don't know.

Obscure never ceases to amaze me with just how versatile it is.
Stealthy means there's no sensory effect from the Obscure itself. Without that, the beast would be running around with a visible aura of some sort, and things within the aura would be difficult to target. Default Obscure is a cloud of smoke, "white noise," or similar that makes it harder to sense what's inside by getting in the way, rather than by simply making it harder to see/hear/target.

And, yeah, Obscure is a pretty good deal when it comes to vision. Not so much for the other senses (which cost the same).