Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
tfaal

Default Quick question about -N*HP thresholds

Just a brief question; if I have 10 HP, and a single attack brings me down to -33 HP, do I roll against HT for instant death once, or do I roll three times, for -1*HP, -2*HP, and -3*HP? Also, am I right in believing that there's still only one roll for knockdown/stun, and that it still has no modifier if this is a torso hit?
tfaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Synapse

Default Re: Quick question about -N*HP thresholds

I don't have the rulebook on hand to verify, but in my group we run with one check for each checkpoint passed, additionally (I think this is a house rule) we penalize every check by -1 for each full increment of HP you're missing beyond the first.
Synapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfaal View Post
Just a brief question; if I have 10 HP, and a single attack brings me down to -33 HP, do I roll against HT for instant death once, or do I roll three times, for -1*HP, -2*HP, and -3*HP? Also, am I right in believing that there's still only one roll for knockdown/stun, and that it still has no modifier if this is a torso hit?
You roll 3 times, once for every threshold. You roll once for knockdown, and once for stun. If you are hit in the torso, there is the usual damage modifiers(*0,5 for pi-, *1,5 for cut/pi+, *2 for imp/pi++).
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
tfaal

Alright, cool. Thanks for the answers guys!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
trooper6

If you go from 10hp to -33 hp in one blow (i.e. -43hp damage) this is what happens.

Immediately:
1) As you have less than 1/3 of your HP, Half Move and Dodge. (B419)
2) Is there any Knockback? That is a lot of damage, sounds like Knockback might be possible (B378)
3) Knockdown & Stunning due to the Major Wound: HT roll to avoid knockdown & stunning. There are no modifiers to this roll since it was a torso hit. If you make it you are fine. If you fail, you are stunned, you fall down prone and drop whatever you were holding. If you fail by 5, you are knocked out. (B420)
4) You must roll a death check for being at -HP or die (remember failing by 1 or 2 results in a Mortal Wound, but not dead). (B419)
5) You must roll a death check for being at -2xHP or die. (B419)
6) You must roll a death check for being at -3xHP or die. (B419)

At the beginning of your turn, you:
1) Are suffering -4 to DX & IQ from Shock (this will wear off after this turn) (B419)
2) If you choose to do anything other than Do Nothing, you will have to make an HT roll to stay conscious first. This roll is at -3 because you are at -3xHP. If you fail, you are out. (B419).

At the end of your turn, you:
If you had been stunned, you can now roll to recover from stun.

This is all from the Basic set not using extra rules.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
You roll 3 times, once for every threshold. You roll once for knockdown, and once for stun. If you are hit in the torso, there is the usual damage modifiers(*0,5 for pi-, *1,5 for cut/pi+, *2 for imp/pi++).
Note. You don't roll once for knockdown and once for stun. That is one combined roll. You roll once and it covers knockdown and stunning. There is a roll to stay conscious but that happens on your turn. This is on B420.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
tfaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
If you go from 10hp to -33 hp in one blow (i.e. -43hp damage) this is what happens.

Immediately:
1) As you have less than 1/3 of your HP, Half Move and Dodge. (B419)
2) Is there any Knockback? That is a lot of damage, sounds like Knockback might be possible (B378)
3) Knockdown & Stunning due to the Major Wound: HT roll to avoid knockdown & stunning. There are no modifiers to this roll since it was a torso hit. If you make it you are fine. If you fail, you are stunned, you fall down prone and drop whatever you were holding. If you fail by 5, you are knocked out. (B420)
4) You must roll a death check for being at -HP or die (remember failing by 1 or 2 results in a Mortal Wound, but not dead). (B419)
5) You must roll a death check for being at -2xHP or die. (B419)
6) You must roll a death check for being at -3xHP or die. (B419)

At the beginning of your turn, you:
1) Are suffering -4 to DX & IQ from Shock (this will wear off after this turn) (B419)
2) If you choose to do anything other than Do Nothing, you will have to make an HT roll to stay conscious first. This roll is at -3 because you are at -3xHP. If you fail, you are out. (B419).

At the end of your turn, you:
If you had been stunned, you can now roll to recover from stun.

This is all from the Basic set not using extra rules.
Thanks, this clears a lot of things up.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
There is a roll to stay conscious but that happens on your turn.
I thought Kromm had clarified that to happen as soon as you are at 0.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I thought Kromm had clarified that to happen as soon as you are at 0.
No idea. I'm just going by what is on B419: "0HP or Less: You are in immediate danger of collapse. In addition to the above effects, make a HT roll at the start of your next turn, at -1 per full multiple of HP below zero." It goes on to note that you don't have to roll to stay conscious if you choose to Do Nothing.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
No idea. I'm just going by what is on B419: "0HP or Less: You are in immediate danger of collapse. In addition to the above effects, make a HT roll at the start of your next turn, at -1 per full multiple of HP below zero." It goes on to note that you don't have to roll to stay conscious if you choose to Do Nothing.
That's what I thought too, but it turns out we are wrong:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The instant you're injured to 0 HP or less: No matter what maneuver you selected before being injured, you must roll vs. HT to avoid unconsciousness. Do Nothing – as a choice on that turn or as a consequence of something else – is beside the point.

Turns after you're injured to 0 HP or less: If you select any maneuver but Do Nothing, you must roll vs. HT to avoid unconsciousness before you take action. If you select Do Nothing – as a choice on that turn or as a consequence of something else – you do not have to roll but of course have no action to take.

That is, my clarification was of the two offending sentences. The Do Nothing exception isn't in either of them, and works as it always did: It lets you avoid a HT roll. But that's neither here nor there in what I was trying to clarify. The whole rule would be:
0 HP or less – You are in immediate danger of collapse. In addition to the above effects, make an immediate HT roll, at -1 per full multiple of HP below zero. Failure means you fall unconscious (or simply stop working, if you weren’t truly alive or conscious in the first place); see Recovering from Unconsciousness (p. 423). Success means you can act normally, but must roll again at the start of every turn to continue functioning. Exception: If you choose Do Nothing on your turn, and do not attempt any defense rolls, you can remain conscious without rolling. Roll only on turns during which you attempt a defense roll or choose a maneuver other than Do Nothing.
Vicky probably should FAQ this. I'll PM him.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote