Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #31
jason taylor

Default Re: Odious Personal Habits

Harrassment of fellow-workers(Tony DiNozzo).

Making resounding claims of the value of one's own intellectual prowess(Walter O'Brian)

Last edited by jason taylor; 10-07-2015 at 12:35 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #32
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Odious Personal Habit(Hipster): Not only are you cool, you have to let everyone know how you were cool before it was cool to be cool, and how uncool and trend following they are. You vociferously maintain your independence and free thinking nature, while insisting all other people are sheep. You are driven to maintain relevancy in modern culture, while insisting modern culture is shallow and inferior to your particular niche hobby. You pay inflated amounts of money for consigned items, dress in a chaotic and confusing manner, yet insist it's because of your "dynamic understanding of post singularity contex". Worse, you rarely know what you are talking about when it comes to reality.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #33
jason taylor

Public discussion of genetic abnormality on Barrayar.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #34
jason taylor

Giving sexual favors to invaders(to invaded obviously).
Old 10-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #35
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
This thread may be hoping for mostly -15 point OPHs, but it's collecting mostly -5s. Quoting Monty Python is not a -15 point OPH.

Insisting on only speaking in Monty Python And The Holy Grail quotes, and only responding to people who do the same? Beside being a "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" level of communication problem, that's possibly a -15 OPH. Either that, or a Delusion.
I'd think most people would just class you as "harmless lunatic who babbles nonsense all the time" and ignore you. That might be a -15 point disadvantage, but it's not an Odious Habit.

To hit a -15 point OPH with just words I'd expect you to have to work at it, selecting the most offensive things you could for the person you are currently speaking with. I reserve that level for stuff like "runs over peasants in the street, makes a special effort to target pregnant women", "throws parties where he rapes slave children" or "shoots pets any time he encounters children playing with one". Verbal equivalents maybe aren't inconceivable, but almost have to be deliberately offensive.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #36
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Giving sexual favors to invaders(to invaded obviously).
Which makes it more of a reputation than an OPH particularly since the people who dislike you for it aren't generally going to be there while you are doing it.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:56 PM   #37
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I'd think most people would just class you as "harmless lunatic who babbles nonsense all the time" and ignore you. That might be a -15 point disadvantage, but it's not an Odious Habit.

To hit a -15 point OPH with just words I'd expect you to have to work at it, selecting the most offensive things you could for the person you are currently speaking with. I reserve that level for stuff like "runs over peasants in the street, makes a special effort to target pregnant women", "throws parties where he rapes slave children" or "shoots pets any time he encounters children playing with one". Verbal equivalents maybe aren't inconceivable, but almost have to be deliberately offensive.
In other words, it is not what will make people avoid you. It is what will make people flog you, stone you, or subject you to the Rough Music*

*A type of public shaming known in the Colonial South as the penalty for suspicion of domestic abuse.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #38
Otaku

Quote:

I think the main issue would be that only speaking in Monty Python quotes and/or insisting others only speak in them severely restricts your character's capacity: you can communicate but it is much more difficult and some concepts may be functionally impossible to make clear. It suggests mental illness or warped priorities which in turn can infuriate or worry those around you. I'd actually go with something a little more broad (because Transformers*) and have something like Odious Personal Habit: Talks TV be a Quirk if it is just an overused gag, -5 if you really do limit yourself and -10 if you insist others do it as well with -15 if you forcefully try to get others to go along with you.

The only custom -15 Odious Personal Habit taken by someone with whom I gamed was a guy playing a kind of humanoid canine that had an incredibly long, prehensile tongue. He frequently pleasured himself with his tongue, regardless of where he was at or who he was with. >.>
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:35 PM   #39
Ashtagon

For -15 points....

OPH (masturbates in public)
OPH (cannot complete a sentence without cussing)
OPH (picks *your* nose and eats it)
OPH (not toilet trained - any time, any place)

Take your pick
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #40
whswhs

Quote:
Those aren't of much use in any current developed country; all of them would result in criminal charges, which would give you Social Stigma and/or Enemy (Hunted, Police). Surely there are habits that would produce extreme bad reactions in Sweden, Canada, or Japan, without actually being illegal.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage, disadvantages, mental disadvantage, odious personal habit