Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2018, 05:00 PM   #1
Otaku

Default [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#0): Introduction

Last Thread: Yes, There Is One
Next Thread: 360º Vision

This is probably a surprise and a disappointment for those awaiting the return of the discussion, but given how long the series has taken and how long it will take (even if there are no more interruptions), I believe such a thread is necessary. It is also necessary because I scheduled most of my time to work ahead and build a buffer for December, as I was supposed to have more free time. Instead, not only did I have some additional demands placed on my time, but I managed to hurt my back, leaving me less able to work at my computer. So, not only do I need the rest of this week to get back on track, but this turn of events makes it clear that a single place to
  • explain the purpose of the series
  • receive feedback
  • post announcements is a need

and not just a way to buy time. ;)

The goal of the Basic Advantage of the Week threads is to promote discussion and understanding of this fundamental part of GURPS. Providing a potential catch-all for questions is one aspect of this, whether they are about how to use it or looking for additional, alternate, or optional rules. Another is to provide a useful place to share how the week's trait has performed in your own campaign. As someone who loves to explore how and why a trait works a particular way, and try to invent ways to improve it (if possible), being able to present criticisms or even explain why the current rules work so well is also most welcome.

In the past, I have often tried to fit as many traits as I could into a single discussion thread. This was because it would make this series shorter, because some traits don't have a lot of substance to them, and because many traits are quite connected to each other. The last major hiatus for this discussion series actually came about because I was struggling in general, but specifically because I tried to cover four connected traits in a single, monstrous pos: Elastic Skin, Hermaphromorph, Shapeshifting (Alternate Form) and Shapeshifting (Morph). While I doubt we can have a discussion about either of the first two without bringing up Shapeshifting, Shapeshifting looks to be such a detailed topic that it would simply swallow the other two.

Next week, the Basic Advantage of the Week threads will resume properly, with Elastic Skin... possibly alongside Hermaphromorph, but definitely without either form of Shapeshifting. Let me know what you think of this, and let me know if you think Hermaphromorph deserves its own week or not.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 01-03-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Added Links
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:05 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#0): Introduction

I'd give Hermaphromorph its own discussion. It's socially distinct from Elastic Skin, which is "only" an advanced form of disguise. Hermaphromorph will alter your social role in many societies.

A society where everyone had Elastic Skin would have a very different concept of personal identity from ours. A society where everyone had Hermaphromorph would have deeper, but less immediately obvious differences; LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness presents an example, but there are many other possibilities.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:22 AM   #3
Kesendeja

I agree that Hermaphromorph needs its own week.
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:40 AM   #4
Celti

Hermaphromorph is arguably separate, but you might package together Elastic Skin and Mimicry.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:35 AM   #5
Not another shrubbery

If the idea of saving time and bandwidth is the primary concern, then combining Hermaphromorph with Elastic Skin makes sense. Note that ES allows for gender-based disguises, which makes it superior to the other in *most* ways (as you'd expect from the higher cost).
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I actually would prefer smaller chunks in general: collections of advantages are often a huge topic. and Morph and Shape-shifting could very easily be two separate weeks.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #7
Otaku

While working on the latest BAotW thread - Enhanced Move - I had a debate with myself I've been having for a while now. Simply put, a decent amount of Advantages reflect upon the Basic Attributes and Secondary Characteristics. I'm wondering if those would be worth having their own [Basic] Trait of the Week threads... and if so, whether they'd be better sooner rather than later.

I've only just got these underway again, so I'm not keen for any side projects, so I'm thinking this is something that someone else can do (if they want), or that I could think about once I've finished the BAotW threads (probably sometime next year at the earliest). Still, I finally realized I ought to ask and see.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Old 01-16-2018, 01:54 AM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Would Enhanced Move itself be such an entry, or am I misunderstanding what set of advantages you mean?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:21 AM   #9
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
While working on the latest BAotW thread - Enhanced Move - I had a debate with myself I've been having for a while now. Simply put, a decent amount of Advantages reflect upon the Basic Attributes and Secondary Characteristics. I'm wondering if those would be worth having their own [Basic] Trait of the Week threads... and if so, whether they'd be better sooner rather than later.
You could do them either way — given that you're already doing Advantages, I'd save the Attributes for the very end so you can reference back to all the relevant Advantages when you need to.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:19 AM   #10
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Would Enhanced Move itself be such an entry, or am I misunderstanding what set of advantages you mean?
Enhanced Move is the latest thread (#48). Writing it is what got me wondering if I should do threads for things like ST, DX, IQ, HT, Basic Speed, Basic Move, Etc.

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, basic set, introduction